Barbara Blanchard named Grossmont’s vice president of academic affairs

GROSSMONT COLLEGE (Press Release) — Barbara Blanchard has been named vice president of academic affairs at Grossmont College. Blanchard comes to Grossmont College from American River College, one of four colleges in the Los Rios Community College District in Sacramento, Calif.

Blanchard’s wide-ranging experience includes teaching and learning, accreditation, workforce preparedness, educational technology and business/industry partnerships. As vice president of academic affairs, Blanchard will provide leadership and direction to college instructional programs, the library, and computer technology learning resources. She will play an important role in student learning outcomes, institutional planning and coordination, and accreditation.

Vice President Blanchard’s challenges include working with the district team to find ways to serve the growing student demand in the midst of severe funding cuts to community college budgets due to the state budget crisis.

As economic forces drive more students to campus to train or retrain for new careers and to complete general education requirements to transfer to four-year universities and colleges, campus resources are under enormous strain to accommodate the need.

“As I wrote in my application, it was a joy to apply for this position,” Blanchard said. “It is a joy to be given the opportunity to contribute my skills and experience toward creating a dynamic and responsive environment for our students. It’s important to me not only to develop good working relationships on campus, but to establish relationships with the community, and respond to industry and labor market demands to ensure that our students receive a high-quality education that gives them the best possible preparation for the world in which they work and live.”

“Dr. Blanchard’s colleagues have described her as extremely dedicated, intelligent, creative, ethical, analytical, organized, and a great facilitator,” said Grossmont College President Sunita V. “Sunny” Cooke. “To win accolades like this from people you work with is the highest form of praise.

“This is a top leadership role within a dynamic college. Working with faculty, staff and students, as well as members of the community, Dr. Blanchard will play a significant role in creating a vision for success and learning into the future. We couldn’t be more excited to have Barbara on our talented Grossmont College team as the new academic year begins.”

Blanchard has worked at three community colleges in California, most recently at American River College, where she served for more than 13 years as the dean of computer science and information technology. She also served as an interim vice president of student services.

Blanchard received her doctorate in educational leadership from the University of California, Davis. She holds a master’s degree in management information systems from the University of Arizona, and a bachelor’s degree in human resources and family development from the University of Illinois.

*
Preceding provided by Grossmont-Cuyamaca Community College District