Congresswoman wants veterans’ college stipends reinstated over school breaks

WASHINGTON, D.C.  (Press Release)– Congresswoman Susan Davis (D-San Diego) introduced legislation to restore cuts made to education aid for veterans going to college.  The Post 9/11 GI Bill Payment Restoration Act (H.R. 1451) would reinstate living expense stipends during school breaks.

“Our service members earned and deserve their educational benefits,” said Davis, a member of the House Education and the Workforce Committee.  “We have a responsibility to keep these benefits worthy of their dedication and sacrifices to the nation.”

Last year, the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Improvements Act was enacted making changes to the Post 9/11 GI Bill program.  Most of these changes were positive.  However, provisions were included to eliminate certain living stipend, or “interval payments,” for veterans.  These interval payments cover periods between academic terms, such as the winter holiday break. 

Davis’s bill is a preemptive effort to help veterans continue to receive the living stipends to help pay for rent and bills while attending school.

San Diego has one of the largest veteran populations in the nation and a large number of college students.

*
    Preceding provided by Congresswoman Susan Davis