Faculty members honor achievers, recall departed colleagues

GROSSMONT COLLEGE – At an end-of-the-year awards ceremony, Grossmont’s faculty looked forward to improved facilities, back on departed colleagues, and to the present educational budget crisis.

The Twelfth Annual Recognition Awards Ceremony on Thursday, May 12, began with President Dr. Sunita Cooke anticipating  the opening of administrative and student facilities at the main entrance to campus, and with a moment of silence in memory of such late faculty members as Janice Gervais and Diane Mayne-Stafford.

Chancellor Dr. Cindy L. Miles of the Grossmont-Cuyamaca Community College District paid tribute to faculty members, saying that despite budget cuts, faculty members devoted themselves to helping students “get to their goals in life and make a difference in the world.”   The awards ceremony, she added, was to recognize “the outstanding things you do for students and for Grossmont College.”

Her comments were echoed by Bill Garrett, president of the GCCCD governing board.

Thereupon, Dr. Sue Gonda, president of the Academic Senate, called out the names of faculty members from every department.  In a quick-paced ceremony, she presented them with their awards, and they walked outside to have their photos taken.

From this student’s perspective, it seemed to be a great ceremony for the faculty and they really enjoyed themselves.

*
    Green is a student in Media Comm 132.  He may be contacted at [email protected]