Earthquake drill procedures for 10:20 of 10/20 told

GROSSMONT COLLEGE (Press Release) — The Great California Shake out will occur on Thursday October 20, 2011.  This year over 8.2 million people will participate in this event, and Grossmont College will be included in the participants!  Grossmont safety officials will announce the start of the Shake out by activating the fire alarm system on campus at 10:20 am.  The fire alarm will sound for 30 seconds starting at 10:20 at which time faculty, staff and students are urged to participate by using the “Drop, Cover, and Hold ON” techniques described below.

At the end of the 30 second fire alarm, the fire alarm system will be silenced and Grossmont College community members will then proceed to evacuate classrooms and labs to a designated evacuation location.  Once all of the classrooms and labs have been evacuated to their designated areas, the fire alarm will be sounded again. This second sounding of the alarm is the signal that the drill is over and that people may return to their classrooms and labs.

Between now and then, faculty are asked to inform thier students about this drill and the “Drop, Cover, and Hold ON” techniques so they are not caught off guard by the sounding of the fire alarm campus wide and know what to do during the drill.  It is recommended that faculty members take a few minutes to review with their students the designated evacuation locations that are posted at the doorways to every classroom prior to the drill so they know where to go.

Here are the drill procedures:

DROP to the ground (before the earthquake drops you)

Take COVER by getting under a sturdy desk or table, and

HOLD ON to it until the shaking stops.

If you are indoors, “Drop, cover, and hold on.” Drop to the floor, take cover under a sturdy desk or table, and hold on to it firmly. Be prepared to move with it until the shaking stops. If you are not near a desk or table, drop to the floor against the interior wall and protect your head and neck with your arms. Avoid exterior walls, windows, hanging objects, mirrors, tall furniture, large appliances, and kitchen cabinets with heavy objects or glass. If you use a wheelchair or have other mobility impairments and cannot Drop, Cover, and Hold On, protect your head and neck with a pillow or your arms, and bend over to
protect yourself if you are able. Do not go outside!

If you are Outdoors: Move to a clear area if you can safely do so; avoid power lines, trees, signs, buildings, vehicles, and other hazards but only if you can safely do so. Otherwise stay where you are and Drop Cover and Hold On or protect your head and neck as best possible.

Driving: Pull over to the side of the road, stop, and set the parking brake. Avoid overpasses, bridges, power lines, signs and other hazards. Stay inside the vehicle until the shaking is over. If a power line falls on the car, stay inside until a trained person removes the wire.

In a stadium or theater: Stay at your seat and protect your head and neck with your arms. Don’t try to leave until the shaking is over. Then evacuate slowly watching for anything that could fall in the aftershocks.

Information regarding earthquake preparedness and the Great California Shake Out can be found at: http://www.shakeout.org/dropcoverholdon/ and http://www.earthquakecountry.info/dropcoverholdon/

*

The information provided above was taken from: The California Emergency Management Agency, the Sothern California Earthquake Center, and the websites listed above.