LBGT community makes educational strides in California with major at SDSU, failure of petition drive to repeal SB48

Holguin and Dylan Burke

Jessyka Holguin
Jessyka Holguin

Dylan Burke
Dylan Burke

GROSSMONT COLLEGE- As of late the LGBT (lesbian gay bisexual transgender) community has become far more high profile in our society

Just recently SDSU made LGBT Studies a major, only the second college in the nation to do so and the first of the California State University and College system.  The degree requires a minor in another field to be approved by the chair or major advisor of LGBT Studies.

This major by many has been questioned and doubted, however there are other people who believe that the LGBT Studies program isn’t any different from any other degree that an institution has to offer.

According to Susan Gonda, a history professor who serves as president of Grossmont College’s Academic Senate, “It’s a good thing . The reason for that is San Diego County has jobs available for students with this major,” among them serving as a social worker.

Gonda said there is a high priority on study fields that are relevant and which draw sustained student interest. She said this is why Grossmont College offers courses dealing with LGBT subjects.

The LGBT Studies major may become even more popular in California, following  Gov. Jerry Brown’s decision to sign Senate Bill 48 into law on July 12.

The legislation by Senator Mark Leno of San Francisco requires public school history classes and textbooks to include contributions of gays,
lesbians and transgender Americans.   An effort by a group called “Stop SB48” to get a repeal measure on the California ballot failed to gather sufficient signatures.

Walking around Grossmont College, staff members of the GC Summit caught up with Michaela Tedesco, who said of the failure of the repeal petition drive: “That’s good, now students won’t be bullied as much.” She said as children learn more about the LGBT community, there is an expectation that suicides
and bulling will be reduced.

Gonda also is supportive of SB 48, explaining, “Any law that helps broaden students’ knowledge about history and culture in the USA is a step forward.”

Sue Caldwell of “Challenge,” an on-campus Christian club, commented, “People should have equal rights regardless of sexual orientation” and “what I believe as a Christian should not change someone else’s belief system.”

*
Holguin and Burke are both students in Media Comm 132.  They may be contacted respectively at [email protected] and
[email protected]