Rising gas prices may lead to students changing life styles

GROSSMONT COLLEGE- Gas prices aren’t only rising in price locally daily, but they are also raising local students’ concerns daily.

The average U.S. price of a gallon of gasoline has jumped 18 cents over the past two weeks.

That’s according to the Lundberg Survey of fuel prices, released Sunday, Feb. 26,  which puts the price of a gallon of regular at $3.69.

Mid-grade cost an average of $3.83 a gallon, while  premium was at $3.95.

Of the cities surveyed, Denver had the nation’s lowest average price for gas at $3.07. San Diego had the highest at $4.24.

San Diego exceeds the U.S. price average by $0.55.   In San Diego County, the average is even higher; the 33rd consecutive daily increase Monday, Feb. 27, pushed the average price of a gallon of self-serve regular gasoline to $4.31, its highest level since July 2008.

This has caused much concern for some students.

On Thursday, Feb. 23, when gas was cheaper than indicated in the survey, students Karla Martinez, Ashley Jackson and Alicia Rodriguez were asked how the price of gasoline affected them.

Martinez said, “I drive a bulky SUV so the price increase sucks! Carpooling has always been an option, especially since the prices change daily.”

Jackson said,  “I honestly think that these gas prices will affect my social life considering that I’m not willing to drive without gas money.”

“I feel like carpooling is a better option,” said Rodriguez.  She added that she also would consider taking the bus.

According to analysts, gas prices are expected to continue to increase.  As prices increase, gas lines lengthen with drivers wanting to fill up before the next price hike.

*

Burke is a reporter for the GC Summit. He may be contacted at [email protected]