‘Dance for a Cure’ good for both the audience and patients

CHULA VISTA–Every year Eastlake High School’s Performing Arts Center holds a benefit dance show to help kids suffering because of diseases like cancer.

Known as “Dance For A Cure” renowned dance crews such as IDK, Natural Vibes and Future Shock display their technical abilities in modern dance styles such as krumping, breakdancing and others.  Due to hip-hop being the dance of this day and age, many people attended “Dance For  A Cure” and from what I saw on March 2, I wasn’t surprised by the sizeable crowd.

“Dance For A Cure” consists of 5-15 dance crews who dance with a passion like no other. These singers, dancers have to dance with heart or the audience won’t be able to feel the moves or the choreography. The performances would be classed at levels between beginning and advanced.   For instance, Morse High School’s Male Dance Team would be considered advanced because of its timing, execution, sharpness and formation.

Every move team members did on “Dance For A Cure” was sharp and executed well. Spin control and formation play a big part in group performances and Morse All-Male didn’t seem to have a problem with eithe. If a dancer over spins he may end up being late on the next move and if a dancer ends up in the wrong position or spot it could drain a performance of its perfection.

For a cause like “Dance For A Cure” dancers will take from a few hours to a few days to learn the choreographies and spend weeks to months to perfect them. Through this process dancers harden each move they do, clean up every messy move, and by the time the performance date arrives, muscle memory will assure that no mistake will occur.

“Dance For A Cure” was well worth my money and gas. Every dancer who performed danced with heart, I  was able to help charities with the money I paid for the show and I was able to watch extraordinary dancers do what they’ve been practicing for a quite a while.

I am looking forward to next year’s “Dance For A Cure” and I suggest that many others who have a passion for hip-hop dance styles should do likewise.

*

Asuncion is arts editor for the GC Summit