Lowbrow ‘Project X’ tells of a party gone wild

SAN DIEGO  — Director Nima Norizadeh’s Project X tells the story of a party thrown by an insecure, popularity-seeking teenager when his parents are out of town. The party in Pasadena quickly gets out of hand to the point of calamity.

Seventeen-year-old Thomas (Thomas Mann) had hoped the party might boost his popularity along with that of his friends Costa (Oliver Cooper) and J.B. (Jonathan Daniel Brown).

But the party grew far beyond the inexperienced teenagers’ ability to control it. News, police officers, and the entertainment media such as late night host Jimmy Kimmel even get word of it.

The film is replete with stereotypes about teenagers and such other characters as a Jewish lawyer. Nobody going to see Project X should expect it to be film-of-the-year type stuff, it’s just a comedy for kids, nothing like a Shawshank Redemption, it’s more of a Hangover and Superbad combo.”

Although the script has some funny lines, they aren’t always delivered well. There are some dramatic moments of “young love” differing somewhat  from teenagers anxious for “hit and run” sex.

This observer gives the film a 6 out of a possible 10, and recommends any adult under the age of thirty to spend the $12 and see the movie. Parents of teenagers may want to skip the movie; it might worry them unnecessarily.

Burke is a student in Media COMM 132B.  He may be contacted at [email protected]