Grossmont offers clubs for many interests

GROSSMONT COLLEGE — There are a variety of on campus clubs that cater to student interests and hobbies. At a recent Inter-Club Fair many clubs set up in the Main Quad to show Grossmont students and staff what extracurricular activities are available.

One of the clubs was Circle K, a volunteer community service program. The president, Kyle Sipperly, said it has primarily focused on volunteering and fundraising for Rady’s Children’s Hospital. In addition club members get together on weekends to do beach clean ups around San Diego. Circle K has become the largest collegiate community service club in the world, Sipperly said.  Befits of the club, he added, include meeting great people and doing something that benefits others.

The Medieval Club also is part of a global network. Thomas DuLaney II, its president, said he’s desirous of recruiting new members who are passionate about learning the lifestyle and history of the Medieval period. The club participates in the Festival of the Rose, a five-day festival that takes place in Pennsylvania, where education occurs on the entertainment, styles, foods and combat during the medieval period.  The club also introduces people to classes in fencing, archery, western martial arts, cooking, brewing, and music. The Medieval Club meets at 7 p.m. Wednesdays in the Allied Gardens neighborhood of San Diego.

The International Club was represented by Keiana Castro. The mission statement for this particular club is to bring as many cultures as possible together and help bring the world community together as a whole.  The International Club hosts events almost weekly. They also go on trips, all in the interest of exploring different cultures. The club is open to anyone and everyone who is willing to experience new cultures.

Under the umbrella of the International Club are various culture-specific organizations, such as the Spanish Club. Tina Ruiz was among those who represented the club, which caters to those of a Spanish heritage. It provides an opportunity for Spanish speakers to practice their English skills in a comfortable environment. One of the many activities the Spanish clubs provides is watching movies. It also provides mentoring for students who may be having a difficult time in school.

The Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Straight Student Union (LGBTSSU) is open to any and everyone who has a willing, accepting and open mind. Club officers said that many plans are in the works to make Grossmont College a safer and comfortable place for the LGBT community.

One of the projects that the LGBTSSU is working on is creating a safe zone, which was described as a room or an area on campus where students, faculty, and staff have a safe place to go and be themselves without having to fear harassment.

Information about how to join the various on-campus clubs  may be obtained from the office of Sara Glasgow, the director of student activities,  in Room 206 of Building 60.

*
Laurvick is features editor and Sanders commentary editor of GC Summit.  They may be reached at [email protected] and [email protected]