Time for drag queens and kings at Grossmont

Jenn Sanders

GROSSMONT COLLEGE –I feel that everyone should go to a Drag show at least once in their life. Just to see how well, and how hard these performers work to not only portray the opposite sex but to also put on a great show. For this reason Grossmont College should host a drag show, to allow the students and staff members who wish to see a show an opportunity without having to go to Hillcrest or other parts of Southern California. I think a great time will be had by all.

Most people know what a Drag Queen is, if you don’t continue reading and you will soon find out. On the other hand, not many people know what a Drag King is. To be honest they are just the flip side of the same coin.

Wikipedia defines a Drag Queens as “a man who dresses, and usually acts, like a caricature woman for the purpose of entertaining.” Wiki also defines Drag Kings as a “female performance artists who dress in masculine drag and personify male gender stereotypes as part of their performance.”

So what does that mean? Basically one gender dresses up and acts, in exaggerated overtones, like the opposite gender for the entertainment of others.  The art of drag is to portray a member of the opposite sex in a believable, if not comedic, way.

The history of Drag: Throughout the world, and history, many have dressed in the clothes of the opposite gender for one reason or the other. Not all of them did it for the entertainment of others. During war times many women dressed as men to take part in wars. Throughout the history of theater and cinema many men and women have dressed as the opposite gender for the sake of the show. There have been many “troupes” that catered to only one sex, so in order for both male and female roles to be appreciated the members would dress in the opposite sex’s clothing.

Do these people dress up as the opposite gender want to be that gender? Most have no desire to be the opposite sex. As a drag king I can tell you that I love being a woman, I dress up and portray a man for fun. It’s about the challenge of not only looking like a man but passing as a man in as many ways as possible. Someone who feels that he or she in the wrong body is referred to as transgendered.  Some transgendered people do perform at drag shows, but as a general rule a performer tends to be one gender portraying the opposite in exaggerated overtones.

*

Sanders is commentary editor of the Grossmont Summit.  She may be reached at [email protected]