Guest commentary: Solicitors on campus must follow rules

GROSSMONT COLLEGE — Well it’s that time of year again where we are bombarded by those ever persistent solicitations.

Did you know that you have the right to tell the people behind the petition that you do not wish to participate? And they must leave you alone?

Someone coming up to you to solicit for anything must cease and desist if you tell them that you are not interested and you DO NOT have to give a reason if they persist. That is harassment and they can be arrested.

Did you know that when you sign petitions that the person soliciting gets paid for your signature?

Most petition signers get paid by a polling company or the drafters of the resolutions that want to get their “Agenda” on the ballot. It seems to me they are getting paid for my vote which is not how this country was founded.

Did you know that once you sign the petitions your personal information is in the hands of someone you do not know?

Is that petition signature collector your mother or father? Even if they were, your personal information is yours and anyone can gain access to that petition signers papers if he/she does not turn them in by the end of the day and then someone else has access to them. If in doubt, NEVER give personal information to anyone.

Did you know that petitioners cannot enter the buildings on campus?

The buildings on campus are for the sole purpose of a learning environment and not for solicitation. That includes the selling of candy and cookies for our children.

Did you know that the petitioners have to be registered with the dean of students?

The dean has the right to reject anyone’s presence on campus and will escort them from the premises if need be.

Want to get the real scoop on petitioners and those soliciting, ask questions and report abuse.

*
Schneck is a student at Grossmont College.