“Spread of Colors” LGBT club welcomes students

Desiree Shelby

Teresa Gonzales

GROSSMONT COLLEGE– Spread of Colors, the LGBT (Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender) club on campus welcomed new and returning students and cheered them on for a great semester.The fall semester at Grossmont Community College began on Monday August 20, 2012. By Wednesday morning, student organizations were out in full force recruiting and spreading their respective messages. In front of the Tech Mall, booths were set up where students could find a wide array of clubs for nearly any interest and activity.

Among the representatives from each club was Michelle Jones of the Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Organization newly renamed “Spread of Colors”. With her funky hairstyle and inviting personality, Michelle made an ideal spokesperson for such a colorful group (formerly LGBTS Student Union).  In her second year with the LGBT organization, Michelle is now president under Cheryl Campbell, the faculty advisor.

Upon approach of Spread of Colors’ display table, it was obvious that they were very different from most of the clubs with set ups nearby. Along with a wheel that visitors could spin to win prizes, Spread of Colors’ table was filled with informative material ranging from brochures about sexually transmitted disease/infection prevention to support for those suffering from depression to an eye-opening pamphlet about the tobacco industry’s abuse of the LGBT community.

At the beginning of every semester, everyone starts off with a goal. Spread of Colors goal is to promote a safe environment for all students of any sexual orientation. As we know, diversity is everywhere especially here on campus and Spread of Colors would like to go above and beyond to seek an understanding of the different issues on campus.

This year, Spread of Colors plans to collaborate with the athletic department in hopes of heightening awareness of and sensitivity towards LGBT athletes. Along with ambassadorship, Spread of Colors strives to support and educate the LGBT community. They encourage straight membership also as part of their mission to create a “judgement-free environment”.

When asked if the diversity of GCCCD and of community college in general was ideal for the organization, Michelle said “Yes. We get a lot of support. I’m very comfortable here.” The message Jones would like to convey to her peers is: “We’re here to have fun and to make a difference by supporting one another. We really want to increase membership this year.”