Concerts to showcase 3 on Grossmont College faculty

-Campus and Community Relations

GROSSMONT COLLEGE–EL CAJON – Three members of the Grossmont College music faculty will collaborate in a pair of concerts presented by the Grossmont Symphony Orchestra and Master Chorale at 8 p.m., Saturday evening, Sept. 14, at Grossmont College Recital Hall (Building 26, Room 220) and at 2 p.m., Sunday, Sept. 15, at All Saints Episcopal Church of San Diego, at the corner of 6th and Pennsylvania Avenues.

The faculty members are violinist Alyze Dreiling, lyric coloratura soprano Audra Nagby, and classical guitarist Robert Wetzel. They will perform a variety of selections ranging from English lute songs to virtuoso works by Paganini to Spanish canciones. Tickets for the Saturday evening performance at Grossmont College are $10 general admission and $5 student admission. At All Saints Episcopal Church on Sunday, a free will offering will be encouraged.

Dreiling has soloed on violin with the Detroit Symphony, Philharmonia Hungarica, Florida Chamber Orchestra, Knoxville Symphony and the Knoxville Chamber. She currently is on the faculties of Grossmont College and the University of San Diego.

Nagby has been a soprano soloist in such productions as Handel’s Messiah, Webber’s Requiem, Vivaldi’s Gloria, Mozart’s Requiem, Haydn’s Creation, Faure’s Requiem, Mozart’s Missa Brevis in C, Orff’s Carmina Burana and Hadyn’s Lord Nelson Mass. She serves on the board of directors of the National Association of Teachers of Singing.

Wetzel studied guitar with the legendary Romero family, playing lute and guitar in a foursome with Celin, Pepe and Angel Romero at the Napa Music Festival in 1977. He teaches classical guitar at Grossmont College, and performs alongside fellow Grossmont College faculty member Fred Benedetti as the award winning Odeum Guitar Duo, showcasing innovative music that can be performed on two classical guitars.

Composers whose works will be presented during these concerts are Paganini, Cerruti, Coste, Dowland, Pilkington, Purcell, Gluck, Sor and Villa-Lobos, according to Dr. Randall Tweed, conductor of the Grossmont Symphony Orchestra and Master Chorale.

$0
    $500