It’s Showtime at The Stagehouse Theatre!

Kerry Hower

Picture1

Students at Grossmont College, should be aware of the fantastic theatre department here on campus. Grossmont College has an award winning program overseen by the head of the department, Beth Duggan.  Along with an incredible cast of faculty whose passion for the art, shows in the magical productions they produce each and every semester.  But these productions don’t just happen by magic.  Besides the phenomenal actors that we see on stage in performance, there is an entire choreographed performance going on backstage and in the control booth that the audience doesn’t see.  Weeks prior to opening night, students are working in the construction department building the stage and creating the flats that will fly in and out as scenes change along with moving furniture and props. There is also a wardrobe department that custom designs and creates costumes for each character in each and every show that the theatre department puts on.  There is lighting and sound design, stage hands taking Q’s from the stage manager calling the show from the control booth.  And, it’s all Grossmont Students running the entire production when it’s Show Time.

Currently, the Theatre Department has a traveling show “Inside the Actors Process”.This show tours the local high schools each year as well as putting on three performances here at the Grossmont Stage House Theatre.

Inside the Actor’s Process:  Characterization

Directed by Jerry Hager

Feb. 7 & 8 at 7:30pm

Feb. 8 at 2:00pm

Here’s how the head of the theatre department, Beth Duggan described the travelling show.“Each time an actor slips into the shoes of a new character, they experience the world of the play anew.  Creating a character requires imagination and an acute sense of believably mixed together with analysis and research.  An actor uses all of these tools to help mold a new beginning; a new identity for an exciting journey. Our touring ensemble of actors will help local high school students explore this remarkable transformation from actor to character”.

Here is a list of all the spring shows being performed this semester at the Grossmont College,

Stagehouse Theatre.

You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown

Directed by Susan Jordan DeLeon

Musical Direction by Ron Councell

March 13,14,15,20,21,22 at 7:30pm

March 15 & 22 at 2:00pm

Alice In Wonderland

Directed by Jerry Hager

May 8,9,10,15,16,17 at 7:30pm

May 10 & 17 at 2:00 pm

Special Event Performances:

Edgar Allan Poe

A staged reading

Sept. 6 & 7 at 7:30pm

Misbehaving Women

By Jeannette

A staged reading

Feb. 21 & 22 at 7:30pm

General admission tickets are $15, students are $10.  Students can purchase all three shows for the special price of $25.