Butt Out: The Great Smoke Out encourages students to quit smoking.

me-edit

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, each year an estimated 443,000 people die prematurely from smoking or exposure to secondhand smoke and another 8.6 million live with a serious illness caused by smoking. On Nov. 20, Grossmont College’s Health Services Department step up to the tobacco industry and will be hosting an event called the “Great American Smokeout” in effort to help students quit smoking. The event will be held outside of Griffin Gate from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.

According to Juliette Harrington, student health services specialist, this is the 23rd annual event. At the event, “quit kits” will be offered to students that include: helpful website resources, gum, candy, toothpicks and other things used to distract students from picking up a cigarette. Not only will there be information about how toxic all tobacco products can be, but there will also be information about vape pens, also known as electronic cigarettes or e-cigarettes, which have become extremely popular among young adults. The main goal is to help any students who might want to quit for even just one day. Harrington is also working with Grossmont respiratory therapy students to hopefully offer lung capacity and oxygen saturation tests at the event.

According to thetruth.com, an anti-smoking website, only 9 percent of teens still smoke.

“Finishing the job will come down to you,” the organization claims. “Be creative. Enlist friends. Spread truth. Tell us what you need to finish it.”

If students have any other questions about quitting smoking they can follow up by looking at these helpful websites:

• Cancer.org: The official website of The Great American Smokeout.
    • Thetruth.com: The most informational and factual website encouraging teens to quit.
    • Nobutts.org: A help hot-line, and lots of free resources available.
    • Ucanquit2.org: Has unique steps to help quit smoking.
    • Smokefree.gov: Helps you chose a plan and set goals.

Quitting smoking is possible, as thetruth.com commercials say: “Let us be the generation to put an end to smoking.”

$0
    $500