On Air: Griffin Radio gives real experience.

Billingslea_Dorion

Summit Staff Reporter

Grossmont College’s Griffin Radio teaches students how a radio station works firsthand. By working at the station, which is located in the Media Communications Department, the student DJs learn what it takes to manage, produce and operate a radio station.

There are many different kinds of radio stations that just play all music or no music; Griffin Radio does both. On Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10 to 11 a.m., the station plays alternative, rock and some rap. From noon to 1 p.m., the radio plays electronic dance music, rap and hip hop.

After they play a certain amount of songs, the student DJs will start a conversation.

Student Eden Latoni aka "Dj Deadbeat" in action
    Student Eden Latoni aka “Dj Deadbeat” in action

“Sometimes my fellow DJ friend, ‘DJ Rated R,’ and I will have some funny dialogue going,” said Eden Latoni says, a radio student who goes by “DJ DeadBeat.” “Also we have to do announcements and promotions live so we talk pretty often.”

Everybody in the campus radio is revamping it to be the best it can be; now they’re looking for listeners. “The more listeners we get, the more we can do to improve the station, so everyone should listen,” Latoni said.

The campus radio class, MCOM-119, meets Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8:30 to 11:50 a.m. The class is four semesters long, and requires the completion of MCOM-113 or MCOM-116.

Griffin Radio is broadcasted online via Tune In; you can listen to it at grossmont.edu/griffinradio.

$0
    $500