4-year-college recruiters parade to Grossmont

Denise Brousseau of Academy of Arts University

Photos and Story by Sean Asuncion

GROSSMONT COLLEGE–The cavalcade of recruiters for four-year colleges have begun their annual trek to the Main Quad, where they know they’ll find many students wondering where to go upon completion of community college.

I interviewed two of these colleges recruiters to see what programs, benefits, degrees, they offer and they were very helpful.

On Tuesday, Feb. 7,  Denise Brousseau of Academy of Art University provided information that helped me understands the college that is located in San Francisco. She described it as one of the “largest art schools in the United States” with over 18,000 students.

The Academy of Art University offers 18 different art and design majors stretching from industrial arts to music production, Brousseau said.

She said Academy of Art University is particularly known for its fashion, animation, game design, photography and film design programs.

Specializing as it does in the arts, the Academy of ARts University is likely to appeal to any student who is planning on majoring in anything related to the arts.

Brousseau said that many of Academy of Art University’s students became renown people, such as  “Chris Milk, music director for famous recording artists like Kanye West and Green Day; Alejandro Lalinde, cinematographer for famous recording artists like Ne-Yo, LL Cool J and Lil Wayne; and Lauren Conrad and Heidi Montag, actresses in the MTV series The Hills.

For more information go to www.academyart.edu.

Alliant International University recruiters Raul Alcantara and Sara Hernandez

Alliant International University here in the Scripps Ranch neighborhood of San Diego was the second institution I learned about when Raul Alcantara and Sara Hernandez  staffed a booth on campus on Wednesday.

They said that Alliant International University is a transfer only college that requires students to have at least 60 units completed in order to transfer to their University.

Alliant University is an International school with its base in San Diego and its branches stretching all the way to Hong Kong and Singapore.

Alliant International University is known for six  Bachelor’s Completion Programs: Business Administration, Integrated Marketing Communications, International Relations, International Business Administration, Liberal Studies, and Psychology.

It also offers a variety of minors that are listed on their website, www.alliant.edu.

Alcantara and Hernandez stressed as a benefit of Alliant International University its small personalized and interactive classes.  They said classes aren’t too hard to get, and that in some classes students are able to practice with real-life clients.

A result of the classes being smaller is students being able to interact with each other and faculty members more.

One well known alumnus of Alliant International University is Jamie Foxx, an amazing musician and actor who has set his mark on the world of the arts.

There will be more recruiters coming to campus throughout the semester. Those who have already made arrangements to do so are listed in the GC Summit calendar.

*

Asuncion is a student in Media Comm 132A.  He may be contacted at [email protected]