6 Course Gourmet Dinners Continue at Grossmont College

For Immediate Release
    August 22, 2013

–Office of College and Community Relations

GROSSMONT COLLEGE-EL CAJON –Ahhh! What better way to spend a Thursday evening out than with a gourmet dinner, followed by a concert or a play?
    The Culinary Arts Department of Grossmont College is collaborating with the Theatre Arts Department and with the Music Department to produce just such experiences on campus.

It is not only patrons who are gratified by such culturally stimulating evenings, says Steve Baker, dean of arts, humanities, languages and communications.

“This is important for our students because when they graduate and go to work in their fields, most of them are going to be working in hotels, resorts, restaurants and theatres that regularly do combine events and dinner,” he said. “So we are trying to re-create the exact kinds of conditions here that they will find in the work place.”

Chef Joe Orate, an award-winning chef who joined the Grossmont College faculty following a successful career at some of San Diego’s major hotels, said that synergistic relationships develop among the students and faculty of the three departments as a result of the collaborations.

The six-course dinners are designed to prepare the culinary arts students for careers as chefs in San Diego’s fine restaurants, upscale food operations, large venues and major hotels. The dinners culminate with dessert courses taught by Pastry Chef James Foran, who has served as executive pastry chef at such upscale restaurants as Arterra, and Market.

Dr. Christina Tafoya, Dean of Career Technical Education & Workforce Development, comments : “We are so pleased to be able to serve our students and our community by offering these truly enjoyable experiences of a gourmet dinner and show or concert. Grossmont College thrives by creating these win-win situations.” She went on to add, “Plus, the dinners are quite delicious! The gourmet deserts are my favorite.”

Following is the fee schedule of dinners, shows and concerts. The dinners will be held at 5:15 p.m. Thursdays in Room 177 of Griffin Center (Building 60) followed by concerts in Room 180, also known as Griffin Gate. Plays will be presented in the Stagehouse Theatre, Building 21.

September 12 – Dinner only-$20
    September 19 – Dinner and 6:45 p.m. “American Classical Jazz, by Grossmont College’s jazz ensemble,” $30 package
    September 26 – Dinner only- $20
    October 3 – Dinner and “Pygmalion,” curtain at 7:30 p.m., $32 package
    October 10—Dinner and “Pygmalion,” curtain at 7:30 p.m., $32 package
    October 17 – Dinner only – $20
    October 24 – Dinner and “Exotic Island Beats” with 6:45 p.m. performance of Afro-Cuban Combo, $30 package
    October 31 – Dinner only – $20
    November 7 –Dinner and 6:45 p.m. “Classical Composers” concert of Grossmont Classical Ensemble, $30 package
    November 14 — Dinner and 7:30 p.m. performance of “To Gillian on her 37th Birthday,” $32 package
    November 21—Dinner and 7:30 p.m. performance of “To Gillian on her 37th Birthday,” $32 package.

Packages may be ordered at the Grossmont College Theater Box Office at Building 22, or by phoning (619) 644-7267. The college accepts all major credit cards.

$0
    $500