Moving Out: An Opinion

Here at Grossmont College there is a wonderfully diverse student population. A large group of which probably still live at home with mom and dad. No judgments here. Until recently I was also a member of that group. I have recently moved out and am currently living with three roommates (one guy, two girls). Here are some of the things I’ve learned.

• Be prepared for an emotional onslaught when the time comes to move out.

Parents want kids to move out until the reality that their baby is leaving sets in. The day I moved out my little sisters both cried, my mom cried, and my little brother . . . he gleefully helped me pack my stuff.

• Communicating and sharing are wonderful concepts with roommates.

It looks more thoughtful to bring home pizza, toilet paper, coffee, or hand soap (or beer) for the group, rather than one person . . . did I mention beer?

• If at all possible, try to find a living situation that is close to school and work. It will save a ton of time and money.
    • Sharing a bathroom, especially with the opposite sex, can be frustrating.

Guys don’t even bother with the question, “Are you going to be in there much longer?” Girls, when finished with beauty rituals please put away straighteners, curlers, mascara, lip balms, sticks, and glosses, eye shadow, Mandarin Blossom body lotions, perfumes, and various assortments of hairbrushes. Thank you!

• Grocery shopping is a necessity.

That tedious and, to this point for most, foreign activity called “grocery shopping” is crucial to survival—financially and physically of course. Eating out is great fun and delicious but expensive.  Make a list, make time, and get over to a grocery store. Side note: Guys, grocery stores are a great place to meet women.

• Cleanliness is a group effort. Save one headache and clean up after yourself.
    • Consider taking a Personal Finance class here at Grossmont College to learn how to manage money.
    • Respect everyone’s privacy.

If fortune smiles enough to have a “special guest” over, try and coordinate the visit to occur at night or when the fellow roommates are either asleep or not present . . .not in the middle of the day . . . Interpret that however.

• Extraneous holidays such as Valentine’s Day or St. Patrick’s Day are opportunities to show how much you care.  Buy flowers or some Guinness.
    • Spend time with the roomies.  Turns out they’re pretty cool. Plus, you’re going to be living together, so you might as well be friends.

The final piece of advice I’ll give: Live at home as long as possible/ possible to bear it.  Save money, get an education, and appreciate the free food and lack of bills.  Adult life can be scary. That said, independence is a beautiful wondrous experience, it just comes with a cost.

$0
    $500