How to help save millions of lives (each year)

Russell Lindquist

Russell Lindquist

GROSSMONT COLLEGE – If human life is important then the subject about which Grossmont’s own Dr. Wendy Stewart spoke at length is easily among the most important topics imaginable: the water-shortages in Africa.  These shortages are the #1 cause of death in the world: an estimated 12 million people – each year – mostly children.

The #1 cause of death in the world is dehydration.  However, the death-by-dehydration often comes not from from a lack of water but from the drinking of undrinkable water: this causes serious diarrhea, dehydrating the person’s body, causing (terribly painful) death.

The most alarming part: water is – in many cases – readily available, even closer to the surface than water here in the U.S.  This means that shallow, relatively inexpensive wells could save millions of lives – each year – in Africa.

As part of the campus’ observance of Black History Month, Dr. Stewart gave the presentation entitled A Drop in the Bucket.  The title derives from popular axiom which asserts – approximately – that ‘it is each little drop of rainwater that helps to fill the bucket.’

It was fitting to the title of the presentation that I was one of only five students who attended the event (Dr. John Colson – Vice President, Student Services also attended).  The sparse attendance should serve, of course, as a reminder of the axiom itself:  we few drops in the bucket of awareness can make a difference.

For those who have question and/or are interested in ‘joining the cause’ email [email protected]

*Lindquist is Managing Editor of the GC Summit, a student in MCOMM 132; email him at [email protected]