San Diego honors its first Jewish settler

SAN DIEGO — There are many places in San Diego which honor famous people of the past and  interesting historical events. In Point Loma, at the old Naval Training Center, one such plaque was unveiled and dedicated to Louis Rose on Thursday, March 24th.

Former San Diego Mayor Dick Murphy (left) and Grossmont College instructor Don Harrison unveil the plaque honoring Louis Rose (Photo: Dan Schaffer)

The city set aside the dedicated spot, as Louis Rose Point, in 2004 for the 350th anniversary of Jewish settlement.  Rose, who was a prominent San Diego civic leader, was the first Jewish settler in San Diego.

The event was attended by third- and fourth-grade students from Cabrillo Elementary (which was originally named Roseville Elementary, after the townsite that Rose had created in 1869).

At the event, students planted twin rose bushes in honor of a budding sister-school relationship between Cabrillo Elementary and The Grundschule, in Neuhaus-an-der Oste, Germany.

Rose first came to San Dego in 1850.  He lived an accomplished life and many community areas are named in his honor. One such area came to be known as Rose Canyon, where Rose started the first tannery in San Diego county.

The book Louis Rose: San Diego’s First Jewish Settler and Entrepreneur, written by Grossmont Media Communications Instructor Don Harrison, charts Rose’s life and his many accomplishments.

*
Tittle is a student in MCOMM 132; email her at [email protected]