52 Grossmont students receive scholarships at campus breakfast

Russell Lindquist

GROSSMONT COLLEGE, September 11 –Fifty-two students were awardees at the Fall 2010 Scholarship Awards Breakfast on Saturday, Sept. 11, an annual event presented by the Grossmont College Foundation and the Grossmont College Scholarship Department.

In addition to scholarship recipients and their families, many Grossmont faculty and staff attended, including the Grossmont College President, Sunita Cooke; and Michael Copenhaver, the Director of Financial Aid for Grossmont College.  

Ernest Ewin, executive director of the Grossmont College Foundation  and Grossmont alumnus, class of ’69  started off the event, speaking of California State’s budget-woes in order to explain that philanthropic scholarship awards are more important now than perhaps ever before.

Ewin’s comments were seconded by Copenhaver, who then pointed-out that the scholarship-awards being presented were in no way ‘charity’, but that each award is a testament to its recipient’s academic perseverance (and, in many cases, community involvement).

Rick Griffin, from Grossmont’s Office of College and Community Relations, said that the scholarships awarded the 52 students  aggregated to be in excess of $37,400. Scholarship recipients included 18 students who received $1,000 grants from the Bernard Osher Foundation of San Francisco to help defray the cost of textbooks, equipment, lab fees and other items beyond registration fees.

Griffin added that the  Grossmont College Foundation is participating in a fund-raising challenge for Osher scholarships. For every $1 donated until June 30, the Osher Foundation will provide 50 cents to be held in the California Community Colleges Scholarship Endowment.  He added that 100 percent of every dollar donated will go directly to funding the $1,000 student scholarships every year in perpetuity.

A gift of $13,334, matched by $6,667 from the Osher Foundation, results in a total gift of $20,000 held in the Endowment to fund, at 5 percent annual interest, one $1,000 scholarship every year, forever.

The Award Recipients

Ryan Schaub–$1,500 Griffin Award of Excellence, sponsored by the Grossmont College Foundation, presented to a continuing full-time student who has a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher.

Chantal Fry–$1,500 Ivan Nolan Memorial Scholarship, awarded by the children of Ivan Nolan, in memory of their father, given to a student majoring in engineering.  Recipient must be a full-time student who has completed at least 12 units with a GPA of 3.0 or higher.

Karla Carmona-Salgado —  $1,000 KBN Sorority Scholarship, awarded to a student pursuing a career in the field of human-services (i.e. teaching, nursing, and social-services, or medical).  Recipient is involved – or has been involved in – community service and has a GPA of 3.5 or higher.

Tharanga Dissanayake, Asma Eweida, Ginger Rogers, Narissa Kim Tong –$1,000 American Association of University Women La Mesa Scholarship

Lindsey Jordan — $750 Todd Longstreth Scholarship in Photographic Arts, awarded in memory of a former Grossmont College photographic arts student, given to a student pursuing a career in art.  Recipients must be enrolled in a photography class and have a GPA of 3.0 or higher.

Debra Barrett, Christina Schwartz –$750 San Diego Foundation Dietschman Fund, awarded to a student pursuing a career in Health-Care, sponsored by a one-time gift in the name of the Dietschman Fund through the San Diego Foundation.

Kristine Ogden — $500 The Ruane Family Trust Scholarship in Criminal Justice, sponsored by former student Thomas Ruane, for a student majoring in criminal justice, has completed 12 units with a GPA of 3.0 or higher, and has financial need.

Ryuichiro Watanabe — $500 Ross Bookstore Scholarship, awarded to a Grossmont College student majoring in business with a GPA of 3.0 or higher, enrolled full-time, has completed at least 24 units.

Jonathan Corbett —  $500 Jack Walton Scholarship in Biology, awarded in memory of a former Grossmont College instructor in the Biology Department.  Recipient has completed a minimum 10 units in Biology, with a GPA of 3.0 or higher.

Connie Mackin–$500 Dayna Ivy Peoples Memorial Scholarship, awarded in memory of former Grossmont College reentry student Dayna Peoples.  Recipient is a reentry student who demonstrates financial need.

Christopher Berizko —$500 Craig and Par McCollum Scholarship in Computer Science, awarded in memory of a former Grossmont College student, given to a student pursuing a degree in computer science who has a GPA of 3.0 or higher.

Mary Clipper –$500 Christy Seiler Davis Memorial Scholarship, given to a reentry student who is at least 35 years old, in the memory of former Grossmont College reentry student Christy Seiler Davis.

Edwin Cruz, Justin Diel, Eunsun Kim, Devoney Kodad, Kristina Marson, Duc Nguyen, Luan Troung –$500 Barnes and Noble Textbook Award, provides for textbook and supply purchases.  Seven awards total:  three awards to students majoring in General Business; two awards to entering freshmen; two awards to students who are Intercollegiate Team members.  All students must be enrolled full-time, with a GPA of 2.5 or higher.

Beronica Odney –$500 Albert and Jen Van Zanten Memorial Scholarship, awarded in memory of a former Grossmont Trustee of the Grossmont-Cuyamaca Community College District and former Mayor of El Cajon, given to assist students who are former foster youth, to help with tuition, books and other living-expenses.  Recipients have financial need and a GPA of 2.5 or higher.

Cleatus Peake — $300 Lewis Smith Memorial Scholarship, recipient has completed a minimum of 12 units and is currently enrolled in 12 units or more and has a record or service to the school or community.

Yukari Koyano –$250 Grossmont College International Student Scholarship, awarded to an international student who pursues an associate degree or plans to transfer to a four-year institution, and maintains a GPA of 3.0 or higher.

Courtney Bolton –$250 Financial Aid Department Incoming Freshman Scholarship, sponsored by the Grossmont College Financial Aid Department, awarded to an incoming freshman with a high-school GPA of 3.0 or higher.

Hao Huynh–$250 Fleet Reserve Auxiliary Scholarship.  The Fleet Reserves units sponsor and assist local communities with their memorial ceremonies and patriotic events.  Each year, they award a scholarship to a Grossmont College second-year student in nursing or health-services.

Jorge Ramirez –$200 Z. Dean Parks Scholarship, awarded in memory of a former Trustee Professor Emeritus for Grossmont-Cuyamaca Community College District Coordinator.  Recipient is full-time, pursues a career in education, has completed a minimum 24 units and has a GPA of 3.0 or higher.

Wais Seddiqi –$200 Ruth Coover Foreign Language Scholarship, awarded in the memory of a former Grossmont College instructor, to a student who has completed one French or German with a GPA of 4.0, or two semesters of French or German with a GPA of 3.5 or higher.

Beatriz Williamson–$200 ASGC Lyman Menor Scholarship, given in memory of former Grossmont College student who was active in Student Government.  Recipient has completed a minimum 9 units, is enrolled in a minimum 9 units, participates in a recognized organization or athletics on campus and has financial need.

Karozh Ahmed –$200 Grossmont College DSPS Scholarship – sponsored by Disabled Student Programs and Services – given to students with disabilities who have me the challenges and succeeded in attending college and maintaining a GPA of 2.5 or higher.

Ivana Djukic –$200 English as a Second Language scholarship, awarded to a full-time student who has complete a minimum of 12 units of ESL classes, and is currently enrolled in an ESL core curriculum class with a GPA of 3.0 or higher.

Peggy Marcus –$200 Henry Vanden Broek Nursing Scholarship, given to a second-year nursing-student with financial need.

Phuc-Hai Huyn–$150 Susie Haywood Service Award, recognizing a full-time student who has demonstrated service to the college or the community with a GPA of 3.0 or higher.

In addition, the following students were named recipients of the $1,000 Osher Scholarships:  Debra Barrett, Andrew Bidwell, Mary Clipper, Edwin Cruz, Tharanga Dissanayake, Asma Ewida, Chantal Fry, Richard German, Carynne Hansen, Roxanne Jones, Diedrea Lewis, Amber Mickelson, Narrisa Tong, Kristine Ogden, Antonika Pittman, Ryan Schaub, Christina Schwartz, and Saniya Shugayeva.

The Grossmont College Scholarship Advisory Committee includes Selam Gebrekristos, chair; Janice Bellinghiere, English professor; Nadra Farina-Hess, librarian; Linda Snider, business office technology instructor; Lynn Gardner, counselor; Michele Perchez, biology instructor; Tina Perez, communications speech instructor; Anita Martinez, career and technical education/workface; Michael Copenhaver, director, financial aid.

*
    Lindquist is a student in Media Communication 132, which publishes the GC Summit.