Of wolves and gardeners: much to see at student art exhibit now at the Hyde Gallery

GROSSMONT COLLEGE– I had the pleasure of viewing the “Grossmont College Art Student Exhibition 2011″, a collection of student works submitted by instructors. Ceramics, drawing, jewelry, photography, digital media, furniture were among the categories represented.   

I found the gallery a delight and the selected pieces showcased wonderful art otherwise not accessible to the public. Some of my own personal favorites include a photo titled “The Gardener” (11-183) which features a grandmother tending her lawn. The vivid color is warm and calming while the balance was easy on the eyes.  

Another piece that immediately caught my eye was “Animal #3” (11-92) a wonderfully done ceramic sculpture protruding from the wall with a scowling turquoise wolf atop a man’s head. The color choice was what initially caught my eye, something visually pleasing about the salmon colored man and the dominating torquoise wolf.  

The exhibition features nearly 300 works and all are great pieces in their own right. Roy Adzak, sculptor and photographer, once said, “Good art is not what it looks like, but what it does to us.”

Be sure to head down to the Hyde Gallery and see how the pieces affect you. The gallery’s hours are: Monday and Thursday, 10 am to 6:30., Tuesday and Wednsday 10 am to 8 p.m.  It is closed Friday and Sunday and legal holidays. 

Student awards will be presented Tuesday, May 17th, 7 PM till 9 am.

*
    Goodrum is a student in Media Comm 132.  He may be contacted at [email protected]