GC’s Mialani Love named Miss PIFA

Mialani Love, Miss Pacific Island Festival

Mialani wearing a Samoan pattern

GROSSMONT COLLEGE–This year the San Diego branch of the Pacific Islander Festival Association (PIFA) has honored Grossmont College’s very own Mialani Love as Miss PIFA 2011.  She will serve in that capacity during the Sept. 24-25 festival on Mission Bay.

Born and raised in San Diego, Love said that Pacific Island culture has been a major part of her life. She dances and performs the songs of her culture .  She also enjoys playing volleyball and spending time with her family and friends.

Being of Samoan background, Love has been affliated with PIFA since she was 8 years old. “In a way I grew up with PIFA.” she said. “There is a little joke I lilke to tell people and it is that me and PIFA are the same age, I am 17 and September will be the 17th Annual of the Festival!”

Love’s mom is the treasurer for PIFA of San Diego. When Love won her title she said it was an honor to help promote  the organization to which her mother has devoted so much.

She expressed hope that she can serve as  a role model to  Pacific Islander youth and network with members of other communities that want to promote PFIA.  She said that “young girls who are interested in running for Miss PIFA should stay true to who they are, represent their culture to the best of their abilities, and, most of all. stay focused in school.” Love majors in Televison, Film, and Media here at Grossmont.

The festival will include dancing, food, music, and more. Profits from the event will fund academic scholarships for the Pacific Islander community, according to the association’s webiste, www.pifasandiego.com.

The festival is free , however there will be a parking fee for vehicles that park on the Ski Beach lot.  Shuttles also are being arranged from other locations.

Love said that PIFA is a volunteer organization and always welcomes help. If you are interested in helping plan and organize next year’s PIFA festival, she recommends that you contact [email protected].

*

Bailey is a student in Media Comm 132; she may be contacted [email protected]