The ins and outs of Wi-Fi on the Grossmont campus

Issac Jeitler
    Issac Jeitler

GROSSMONT COLLEGE – Keeping up with cutting edge technology, the Grossmont College Campus offers free Wi-Fi to students using laptops, tablets and other wireless devices.

“Wi-Fi” is, according to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, is  an abbreviation of Wireless Fidelity, a group of technical standards enabling the transmission of data over wireless networks. Certain areas around campus are considered dead spots, mostly due to newly constructed areas with thicker walls and electrical interference. However, even with the limitations, the free-to-use service has  sufficient campus  hot spots to enable a wide variety of uses for Grossmont students.

Marc Arizmendez, an aspiring Media Communications student and news director for Griffin Radio, spends ample time on his laptop doing class work and research for the radio department.

He commented that Wi-Fi on campus enables  social interaction with people off campus, and  it’s convenient to use “without having to be inside the tech mall.”   However, he said, in newer buildings he has had trouble receiving a signal,  and that wi-fi service seems to bog down in the tech mall, perhaps because it’s a main hub for other students using the same service.

There is no password requirement for using the system. Simply find the Grossmont College network on your wireless device and connect to it for free Wi-Fi service.

*

Jeitler is a student in Media Comm 132.  He may be contacted at [email protected]