Winless Griffins face Southwestern in home opener football game Saturday, Sept. 17

Dylan Burke
Dylan Burke

GROSSMONT COLLEGE — The Griffins will face Southwestern College at home at 1 p.m. Saturday, still looking for their first win of the season.

The football team  is 0-2 this year after dropping its opener 33-30 to San Diego Mesa and 34-7 to El Camino last weekend. Despite the lopsided loss to El Camino, there are definite signs of improvement among the young Grossmont football players, according to head coach, Mike Jordan.

Jordan attributed the loss to a combination of mistakes made by all three squads: the offense, defense and special teams, “We were not securing the football”, he said;  however, the number of turnovers dropped from five in the San Diego Mesa game  to three against El Camino.

Asked if he has been satisfied with the team practices this semester, Jordan paused for several moments before replying that he is sometimes.   The major problem is inconsistency, he added.

Jordan said he is looking forward to the game this Saturday.  He said for Southwestern to beat Grossmont would be like a “Super Bowl,” but said the fact is Grossmont is expected to win.

The coach said players get excited when fans come out and watch them play, although, he added, it is not an important factor  in winning or losing.

Anyone  with a Grossmont Identification Card gets into the game for free., according to Jim Spillers, associate dean for athletics.  Otherwise, a general admission ticket is $7.

*
Burke is a student in Media Comm 132.  He may be contacted [email protected]