Legacy of Howard Hawver in view as Grossmont dominates Mira Costa in women’s soccer

Brennan Wasan

GROSSMONT COLLEGE — The Grossmont Women’s Soccer team has  advanced its record to 3-0 in the Pacific Coast Athletic Conference while honoring its coach with the 2010 PCAC women’s coach of the year award.
Howard Hawver coached the Griffins Women’s soccer team for 15 years up until he was diagnosed with Lou Gehrig’s Disease in 2008, forcing a leave of absence for this season. The PCAC Coach of the year award is annually awarded to one women’s coach and one men’s coach.

Coach Hawver's Plaque

During his years of coaching, he’s led the Griffins to 12 different playoffs and of those has won 5 conference  championships.

On Tuesday, Sept. 21, the Griffins came out very strong in the opening minutes of the match providing their fans with the excitement of multiple shots on goal. After a cross came from the right side of the field, it was connected with a header to only find the right post. Moments later, the ball didn’t neglect the left post as it hit that side as well.

After three shots on goal and on target, freshman Janeth Bahena, #17 , finally found the back of the net in the 8th minute of the half. Thereafter, the goals began to pour in.

In the 15th minute Ashley Schramm took the ball down the left touch line and crossed it in on the ground across the goal for Annie Roberts, #12,  to easily tap it in. The third goal was scored in the 35th minute when Tiffani Sperling,#20, powerfully struck the ball from inside of the 18 yard box and buried it in the back of the net. In the final 10 minutes of the half, Grossmont recieved a free kick at the top of the 18 yard box allowing  Bahena hit the upper corner of the goal and record her second score of the game.

In the first half alone, the Griffins completely dominated the Mira Costa Spartans with 11 shots on goal, 7 of which were on target.  Mira Costa didn’t get its only shot on goal until the 35th minute. The Griffins  held possesion of the ball on their opponents side of the field for 75 percent of the time–a nearly unbelievable statistic.

In the second half, the Griffins added 2 more goals from Elisa Maganuco and Ashley Schramm. While Grossmont’s defense and goal keeper, Angel Wasecko, was able to keep a clean shut out recording 4 saves. 

With a 6-0 victory, the Griffins are now 3-0 in conference play and 3-2-2 overall. Their next game is at 6 p.m. Friday as they travel across town to San Diego Mesa College. 

*
Wasan is a student in Media Communications 132, which publishes the GC Summit