Grossmont’s victory over Orange Coast contrasts with win against Southwestern

William Dudley

GROSSMONT COLLEGE–  Grossmont improved its 2010 football record to 3-1 by outscoring Orange Coast College 42-35 Saturday afternoon, Sept. 25.

The result of the Sept. 25 home game was similar to the team’s 45-31 win over Southwestern the previous week. But Grossmont took very different paths to the two wins. 

In the Southwestern game, Grossmont scored three quick touchdowns in the first quarter. In last Saturday’s game, Grossmont’s first five offensive possessions had the following results: lost fumble, incomplete 4th down pass, punt, punt, punt. 

In the Southwestern game, Grossmont’s offense relied on QB Ryan Wood’s arm while gaining less than fifty yards running. In Saturday’s game it was Grossmont’s ground game that finally got the offense moving. After Darrin Alix got sixteen yards on two carries, Traivonne Brown scored on a 37-yard dash to erase the Pilots’ 3-0 initial lead.

In the Southwestern game, Grossmont never trailed. In Saturday’s game, they found themselves behind several times, including 27-28 in the fourth.

The Pilots ended the game with the advantage in time of possession and in first downs. However, the Griffins were able to make enough big plays on offense and defense when it counted to come out with a victory.

Grossmont QB Ryan Woods overcame four sacks and an interception to finish the game with 21 completions (out of 35 attempts) for 376 yards and three touchdowns. Woods also ran for a touchdown and for a 2-point conversion.

Alex McLeland led the Griffin receivers with five catches. Dontae Ingrahm had three catches for 119 yards, including a 66-yard touchdown play.

Pat Kelly led the Grossmont defense with 13 tackles. Kevin Woods had two sacks. Nickel back Damien Smith scored Grossmont’s final touchdown with an interception and 45-yard return.

Orange Coast players of note included freshmen running backs Bill Chimphalee and Robert Perry and sophomore kicker Lucus Vandeman.

Chimphalee and Perry combined for 232 rushing yards against the Griffins. Vandeman set a school record with a 55-yard field goal made with one second left in the first half. He also made field goals from 32 and 38 yards.  A 47-yarder at the end of the third quarter that would have given his team the lead, but a Grossmont time out forced him to kick against the wind, and the kick failed.

*
Dudley is a student in Media Communications 132, which publishes The GC Summit