‘Tis the Season to be Sneezin’

Julian Wellman

GROSSMONT COLLEGE — It may be the beginning of hunting season, football season and holiday season but it is also Flu season. However this year, students and faculty are not just exposed to the Flu; but also Whooping Cough. These two illnesses pose a major health hazard to the campus community.

Each year it seems the Influenza Virus comes back with a different strain than the year before. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention lists Flu like symptoms such as “ fever, cough, sore throat, runny or stuffy nose, body aches, headaches, chill fatigue, and diarrhea or vomiting.” Flu symptoms can be aided by over-the-counter cold and flu medicines.

If you experience any of these symptoms the C.D.C.P suggests you should “stay home and avoid contact with other people except to get medical care.” The symptoms and lifespan vary from person to person. Most cases of the flu are mild, but one should contact a doctor if severe symptoms occur.

According to the California Department of Public Health (C.D.C.P) beginning symptoms of the Whooping Cough (Pertussis) include “runny nose, low or no fever, sneezing, or mild cough.” These symptoms last only one to two weeks and quickly intensify to vomiting, problems breathing, a red or blue face, extreme tiredness, a whoop sound, and sweating spells. Those who experience symptoms of the Whooping Cough, should visit a doctor as soon as possible so the proper treatment can be given to avoid contamination of other students or staff.

Being Pro-active can help people from spreading or catching the Flu or Whooping Cough. Make sure everyone in your household is up to date on their Whooping Cough Shot (DTaP) and Flu Shot as the C.D.C.P suggests.  For more information on the flu and what to do if you are sick visit, cdc.gov/h1n1flu/sick; or for information regarding the Whooping Cough you can visit, grossmont.edu/docs/Whooping_Cough.pdf.