Grossmont Basketball Coaches Team Up With Coaches vs. Cancer

The men’s and woman’s basketball teams hosted their final regular home games of the season on February 15 and 20 . These two games were not just about putting the ball through the hoop, it was also about a fight to cure cancer.

For the last 3-years, Griffin Basketball Teams have participated in Coaches vs. Cancer (CVC) and have raised more than $28,000. CVC is a national program that collaborates between the American Cancer Society and the National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC).

The program was designed to empower basketball coaches, their teams, and local communities help make a difference in the fight against cancer. According to the NABC, their goal is to promote the program nationwide, increase cancer awareness and the importance of cancer prevention, early detection of cancer, and promote healthy lifestyle choices.

Grossmont Women’s Head Coach, Karen Caires, stated “We’re honored and proud to be a part of this program. It means a lot to everyone involved. It feels good to be able to help fight a disease that has touched the lives of so many.”

Since 1993, the Coaches vs Cancer programs year-round fundraising activities have raised more than $87-million-dollars. This money helps fund ground-breaking research and helps advocate for better public health policies. It also helps to improve the quality of life for cancer patients and their families.

The Griffins hosted Southwestern College for the games. The men’s game was on February 15 and the women’s game was on February 20th. The funds raised from ticket purchases from both games was donated. At the games, there was a 50/50 raffle. All cancer survivors in attendance were honored at half time.