The making of a music video

http://www.facebook.com/v/178764685472072

GROSSMONT COLLEGE — This video is an assignment for the class known as “Media Communications—Basic Professional Editing Principles.”

The assignment was to use video assets such as personal video footage, still photos, and music, and create and edit a music video. The video had to run the standard time of most music which is about 3-3.5 minutes. The editing system that the Grossmont Labs are equipped with is Adobe Premiere Pro. This video took about 3 weeks class time and outside time as well.

The assignment was graded on length, organization of digital files, naming of digital files, organization of the bin, video following the beat, and the proper export of file. First I had to pick the music I wanted to use for the video. I used a slower song in order to leave images on the screen longer. I wanted my video to have more meaning rather than just following the beat. There were some places that the animals/models’ movement went with the beat.

At first, I had a hard time making the decision on where I wanted to cut the footage, because editing is a decision. And for me making decisions is hard because I am very particular. When using footage that is borrowed from a website usually the footage isn’t exactly what you want, so you have to play with what you want and trash what you don’t. Once I figured out the clear direction of what I wanted for the video, putting the footage together was easy.

With all footage you trim off the fat, or the parts you don’t want, and then place it in the timeline and drop each section side by side without any space in between each clip. The bin is a folder where you keep your assets. Also you have to rename the footage/digital files so you can easily grab what you need for the finished product. This assignment for me was very educational.  It was  exciting to learn how to edit a video.  Video-editing is  a tool and skill that can be used in many areas of life.

*
Jacquett is also a student in Media Comm 132–Campus Newspaper Production, for which this article was written.