Wednesday, April 13: Day of Books and Roses

GROSSMONT COLLEGE (Press Release)–The following message about a campus-wide surprise of books and roses  comes from the English Department:

“Hello friends:

“If we were in Barcelona during the month of April, we would have a chance to experience La Diada de Sant Jordi.  It is a festival day when, in honor of the city’s patron saint and in celebration of literature, men give roses to the women in their lives, and women reciprocate by gifting the men with books.

“Even during miserable economic times, human beings still need art and beauty!  Therefore, on behalf of the Grossmont College Creative Writing Program and the English Department, we are happy to announce that Wednesday, April 13th will be the second annual Day of Books and Roses on our campus.  Early Wednesday morning, we will be leaving books with red roses tucked inside them at various locations around campus; they might appear in classrooms or on cafeteria tables, they could show up on desks of administrative assistants or deans, or they might pop up in LRC or Tech Mall study areas. 

Keep your eyes open, and if you are lucky enough to find one of our random gifts of beauty and literature, please take, read, enjoy—and then come see the author of your book on campus, during the two weeks of events which constitute the 15th annual Literary Arts Festival, April 25th through May 5th, directly after Spring Break.  

“For those of you who do not discover a book/rose on the 13th, you will still have the opportunity to see all of the authors of the books we are distributing during the fabulous and free daytime and nighttime events of the Literary Arts Festival.  Schedules are posted everywhere on campus, and you may also explore the festival website: http://www.grossmont.edu/english/festival

“Our best,

“Oralee Holder, Ph.D., Chair, Department of English, Grossmont College

“Stephanie Mood, Co-coordinator, Creative Writing Program, Grossmont College

“Sydney Brown, Co-coordinator, Creative Writing Program, Grossmont College