Campus display begins Sept. 11 commemoration

Student passerby photographs campus 9-11 memorial (Photo: Kellen Brauer)

Kellen Brauer
Kellen Brauer

GROSSMONT COLLEGE- A remembrance for the 10-year anniversary of the September 11 attacks on New York City’s World Trade Center, went on display on campus Thursday, Sept. 8.

The display was set up by the Associated Students of Grossmont College and featured two tall black boxes with American flag colored banners that listed the names of all the victims. The display also had an olive tree. Students were encouraged to write a memorial note on a card and hang it on the tree.

“Most people know the olive tree to be a symbol of peace,” said ASGC President Cheryl-Anne Phillips. “We wanted to set up this display as a healing process for the campus.”

“For me I still feel that it’s an ongoing healing process because I still see the same problems I saw ten years ago,” Phillips stated. “Right after 9/11 everyone was unified and after about six months it was right back to the way it used to be.”

The display is intended “to show people that we’re still in all of this together,” said Peg Marcus.

Tina Howell said it is unusual to see on a college campus 10 years after 9-11 “both students who watched the towers go up and go down. And so many people from all over who have lost family and friends since that day.”

The olive tree was to be replanted during a ceremony at 10 a.m. Friday, Sept. 9, between building 52 and the Tech Mall, but Friday classes and activities were cancelled because of a county-wide power outage that struck at 3:40 p.m. on Thursday. Details for rescheduling the ceremony were not known immediately.
*
Brauer is a student in Media Comm 132. He may be contacted at [email protected]