Winning volleyball coach fears complacency

Dylan Burke
Dylan Burke

GROSSMONT COLLEGE- The Women’s Volleyball team’s record is nearly perfect and has made its coach, Jamie Ivers, prouder than ever about its performance.

The Griffins on Tuesday night, Sept.20,  defeated Saddleback 3-0 here at Grossmont and as they improved their record to 7-1.  This game played was a make up for one originally scheduled for Friday, Sept. 9.

“We may be 7-1 but we have the big target on our backs now so we have to be sharp every day in practice and every night in our matches because teams will play harder against you than they will other teams,” Ivers said. “Everyone is looking to take us down.”

Coach  Ivers has been kept busy reviewing videotape of the games in order to get her team ready to play for the next one.

“There is always something you need to improve on, or be more consistent at,” Ivers explained. “I feel we still have more growth in certain areas which makes me even more excited as we head into conference and playoffs,” she said.  We have a great group of women this year who are really on board and buy in to what we are trying to accomplish this year”.

As a matter of fact the only thing according to Coach Ivers that is concerning is not being concerned at all, “I feel like there is a huge problem if you don’t think there is anything to work on as a head coach. Nobody is perfect and we are no exception to that.”

*
Burke is a student in Media Comm 132; he may be contacted at [email protected]