Tough loss ends volleyball season

Dylan Burke
Dylan Burke

GROSSMONT COLLEGE – The 2011 Women’s Volleyball team was dominant this year, playing with fierce passion in all of its 25 games. Ranked third in the state, the Griffins nevertheless fell in three straight sets on Tuesday, Nov. 29, to El Camino College. Had it been otherwise, Grossmont would have advance to the state championship.

El Camino has been Grossmont’s nemesis, having also handed the Griffins their first loss earlier in the season. This time in the third round of the Southern California Regional Playoffs, the scores at El Camino were 25-18, 25-12, and 27-25.

“El Camino is a very tough opponent and I am positive they will do very well this weekend,” said Coach Jamie Ivers. El Camino is ranked second in the state.

In the first set, the Warriors got off to a 5-0 lead and never looked back. The second set was a closer contest than the score would indicate. The El Camino Warriors got off to an early 9-1 lead, but later the Griffins ran off seven consecutive points. Thereafter, however, they only scored twice before their defeat. The third set was tied at 25 after the Griffins allowed a 9-point advantage to slip away.

The Warriors had won the title in 2008 and will have their chance to do it again on Saturday and Sunday at Shasta College in Redding.
As for the Griffins, “The team is having a rough time with the loss,” said Ivers. “Two days later I still see them hanging their heads. We ended the year 22-3 and 2 of the 3 losses were to El Camino whom we lost to yesterday. The girls battled but we just came up a little short each game.” Ivers said.
*
Burke is the sports editor of the GC Summit. He may be contacted at [email protected].