Lea Anderson installations on view at the Hyde

Lea Anderson installation at the Hyde (Staff photos)

Mmmultiplicy exhibit piece by Lea Anderson

GROSSMONT COLLEGE–If you haven’t had a chance to visit the Hyde Art Gallery, then you are missing out on a  unique opportunity. In the gallery you will see an abstract installation, “Mmmultiplicity,”  by Lea Anderson who is a former Grossmont student.

Anderson graduated from Grossmont College in 1997 with an A.A. in painting and drawing. When she was a student here, she studied with sculptor Jim Wilsterman.  Her former professor asked her to come back to celebrate Grossmont’s 50th anniversary and her professional accomplishments. Her art work, some may say, is as unique as she is.

“Lea is drawing on personal history and attempting to translate her own memories into visual formats,” said John Chwekun, curator of the art gallery.

The art exhibit is soon leaving: Feb. 23 is the last day to see the exhibit. You might not be an art major, or know anything about art but you don’t need to be, to enjoy the exhibit.

“I’d simply encourage patient and thoughtful viewing, without getting caught up in expectations about what one is supposed to get out of the experience,” said Chwekun.

“An attentive and questioning kind of engagement with a work of art leads to a meaningful relation to it.  After spending some time with the art, students may want to read the information we have posted in the gallery which includes the artist’s thoughts about what is on display.

“Beyond that, it may help to come to the gallery with a friend and discuss the work afterwards. The act of articulating our thoughts verbally to others can sometimes help us clarify things for ourselves.”

*

Boyd, a student in Media Comm 132A, may be contacted at [email protected]