Festival Expectations

Festival Expectations

Upcoming Dance Event: “Entrances and Exits”

The Grossmont College Dance Department gave an inside look at the faculty-choreographed concert coming this May.
Taissa Bullitt
Dance students during rehearsal for the spring concert.

As the Grossmont College’s Spring Concert “Entrances & Exits” approaches, students and their instructors are working hard during rehearsals. 

During the first week of May, the Grossmont College Dance Department is presenting a faculty choreographed student concert called, “Entrances and Exits.” The faculty-choreographed concert will occur on May 9, 10 and 11 at 7:30 p.m.

When COVID-19 finally got contained, Grossmont College welcomed students back to in-person classes which helped with the dance program’s growth. With in-person classes being back, students have gained interest in being a part of the dance community while also fulfilling their health and wellness requirements.

The Dance Faculty along with a guest artist and Alumni choreographer are in charge of the choreography of each piece that will be performed at the concert. Approximately 40 students are participating in the spring concert and nine pieces are being presented during the three nights of performances. These pieces range from ballet to hip-hop, contemporary, modern and jazz bringing a very diverse repertoire to the stage of the Performing and Visual Arts Center (Building 22).

The only requirement to participate in the spring concert is to be enrolled in at least one dance class. Beginner dance students are encouraged to participate in the concert as it can be a memorable stage experience. 

“One of the most important aspects of the dance department is the ability to give students an opportunity to perform and we encourage as many people to,” said David Mullen, Chair of the Dance Department. 

Before the pandemic, the Grossmont dance program had a few more classes to offer students. However, since the doors opened to in-person classes more students are interested in joining these classes and spots are limited. The dance department is hoping to add a new modern dance class next semester, which will allow more students to join the program. 

The Grossmont College Dance Department presents two concerts a year. One is during the spring; it is choreographed by faculty members and performed by students. The second concert happens during the fall semester; it is an all-student choreography concert where dance students are in charge of creating and performing the choreography. 

Ballet Instructor and Choreographer Brittany Gomez and a Dance Student. (Taissa Bullitt)

During one of the rehearsals for the “Entrances & Exits” concert, Dance Instructor Brittany Gomez said she is setting a classical repertoire from “Don Quixote,” a ballet story and also a contemporary piece for the concert. 

“I am really excited to have a really big cast. I have 18 dancers so it is going to be a full quarter ballet and I am also setting a contemporary piece and I am really excited about that. It is going to be a really challenging piece with some props so I am really excited to challenge myself and the dancers,” said Gomez, Ballet Instructor and Choreographer.

The students present at the rehearsal seemed very excited to learn the choreography and worked very hard to improve every time they were told to start over. Fatemah Daryaie, a dance student, will be performing at the spring concert and shared how excited she is for the concert.

“The concert has been exciting to be a part of. The routines, we just drill back and forth. This is just the best workout. I love it and I am just excited for the grand finale of everything. It has been a lot of hard work and I love it,” Daryaie said.

Tickets are now on sale and can be purchased online or over the phone at (619) 644-7766.