Plenty to do at Friday and Saturday’s 50th-anniversary fete

GROSSMONT COLLEGE– A huge turnout is anticipated here for the college’s 50-year anniversary.  A celebration will begin Friday April 13, at 6:30 p.m.  Events on Saturday, April 14,  will commence at 9 a.m. and will run through the afternoon.

Grossmont is opening its doors up to the whole community at no cost.  The 50 year anniversary is being sponsored by private donors and through special events funds; it is estimated to cost over $30,000 for the two-day celebration.

Perhaps the biggest event to take place will be the college’s attempt to break a Guinness World Record. Rick Griffin, the college’s director of public information, told the Summit he did not want to release too much information about the event, so as to build excitement.  But he did drop some hints.  He said at least 1,468 people will be needed to break the record. The mystery event will take place on Saturday between 9 a.m. and  2 p.m., with participants receiving free t-shirts to commemorate their involvement in “history.” Griffin said there are only 1,500 shirts available, so members of the campus community and visitors should get there early to ensure their slot.

Although the event will not bring any extra funding for the college, the school will be credited with “recognition and bragging rights,” Griffin said.

For the event to be deemed record breaking there will need to be two independent witnesses who; there must be someone present to count the crowd, and both video and still pictures must be submitted, Griffin said.  The process of determining whether or not the event set a world record will take two months to verify, he added.

What to expect Friday night:

• From 6:30-7:30 p.m. three separate student musicals      performances in the Main Quad.
  • From 7:30-10:30 p.m. the school will be hosting and old      fashioned Sock Hop dance featuring “Foot Loose” a live band that      will be performing music from the 50’s, 60’s, and 70’s.
  • For inexperienced dancers, there will be free dance      lessons during this time.
  • Food will be available at discounted prices ranging      from Oriental food to Jack in the Box.

What to expect Saturday:

• A dedication ceremony for Grossmont’s  Griffin Center and the Student Services      and Administration Building..  If the weather permits there will be a      flyover  by four to five  vintage aircraft’s from Air Group 1.
  • Department Fair allowing high school students to      experience what college life is like.

For more information on specific events and times visit www.grossmont.edu/50years

*
Quijas is editor of the GC Summit.  He may be contacted at [email protected]