Stop and Smell the Stress Relief During Mid-Day Meditations

Whoever says mediation isn’t a form of self-care, hasn’t been to a Mid-Day Meditation session with the Health and Wellness Center.

Jacqueline Colombo, Staff Writer

Did you know that meditation is a great form of self-care? It can reduce stress, help with anxiety,  increase self-awareness and lengthen your attention span.

The Health and Wellness Center is no stranger to helping with mental health. In fact, throughout the entire semester, it has been hosting many Mid-Day Meditation workshops.

According to Headspace, a mindfulness app, meditation is about training your awareness to gain a healthy sense of perspective.

“You’re not trying to turn off your thoughts or feelings,” the app’s website explains. “You’re learning to observe them without judgment. And eventually, you may start to better understand them as well.”

Mid-Day Meditation is held through Zoom every Monday through Thursday at 1 p.m. through  Dec. 16. No previous mediation experience is necessary, and each session is 15 minutes long and led by a few different staff members, including Julie Schanze. 

When asked how Mid-Day Meditations got started, Schanze said:  “It was our new college president, Denise (Whisenhunt), who is a big fan of meditation, and she asked us if there was anything we can do to provide it regularly. I think the more we can do to make it quick and easy for people, so that way they don’t have to give up an entire hour of their time.” 

Mediating is not time-consuming, which is perfect if you have a busy schedule. 

“Five to 10 minutes is a perfect amount of time,” Schanze said. “You can meditate before you go to bed, when you wake up, while waiting for your dinner to be ready or before going out with friends.” 

Schanze said they aim to keep the sessions to 15 minutes.

“I think the more we can do to make it quick and easy for people so they don’t have to give up an entire hour of their time,” she said. “If we can keep it to that 15-minute mark we do.” 

Schanze added that “a lot of people who have joined them have found it incredibly helpful.” 

Therapy can be expensive, and not everyone has access to it, which is why these meditations are helpful. The Health and Wellness Center also offers free counseling for students and staff.

Grossmont faculty and friends of Grossmont students are welcome as well. The meditations are held Monday through Thursday at 1 p.m. at Zoom ID 924 1471 4150.