Unveiling the Music Consumption Habits of Gen Z

Gen Z listens to more music than any other generation in the country.
Image by Bryan Catota

First off, who is considered a part of Generation Z? Generation Z, also known as Zoomers, are people born between 1997 and 2012. Gen Z is the first generation to grow up with instant internet access such as smartphones, social media, computers, and online video game consoles. 

With growing up around so much technology, it is no surprise that Gen Z is considered to be the most tech-savvy generation and why Gen Z is more inclined to become software engineers than any other generation.

With everything being at the click of a button, one thing Gen Z does at a high rate is listen to music. According to Edison Research, on average Gen Z spend 3 hours and 43 minutes a day listening to music — approximately 40 minutes more than the rest of the U.S. population. 

The ways in which music is consumed are very different. Older generations prefer music through the radio and CDs while Gen Z picks on-demand streaming through their mobile devices. 

While millennials still stream their music the same way as Gen Z, the music genre preferences are also different. A Spotify study shows rap and R&B are the biggest genres for Gen Z while millennials prefer pop music. Also, millennials tend to be open-minded to new genres and have a wider range of music tastes.

When asked about his music habits, Gen Z Grossmont student, Vic Vargas, said: “I listen to music while doing everything. When I am driving somewhere or at work and when I am at the gym, I have music playing.”

A lot can be learned about a generation through what they listen to because listening to music is often a way to express emotion or relate to what the artist is saying. The 2023 Spotify Wrapped report showed that Gen Z was 1,338% more likely to stream a heartbreak playlist. 

Gen Z listening to sadder music coincides with the generation also being statistically the most depressed and stressed out generation of all time. For outsiders looking in at Gen Z, start by trying to listen to the music they’re interested in to understand them.

Music is something that has been bringing people together for thousands of years and it will continue to bring people together.