WTF is Pickleball?

The new sport continues to draw a larger, younger audience.
Image by Mason Tuttle

The reference compendium for many professional journalists, the AP Stylebook, last updated in 2022, contains a 30-page breakdown of every major sport one can think of. There is not a single utterance of the word “pickleball” in the 612-page 56th edition, the most recent version currently available. Pickleball has arrived in the American zeitgeist suddenly and the sport’s popularity continues to rise.

Almost 50 million Americans have reported playing the sport, which has expanded from humble beginnings only 60 years ago. A fast and social game, pickleball is increasingly the choice of casual activity in the U.S. The sport can even be found in a dedicated class here at Grossmont.

In 1965, three men in Washington state put together a game that could be played on a badminton court when they lacked all the equipment, according to USA Pickleball. The result was a game played with ping-pong paddles and a wiffle ball. Now, the game is played with larger composite paddles and more durable hollow plastic balls or a court made from concrete or asphalt, which are ideal for bouncing the light ball.

For the curious student, Grossmont is offering UC and CSU transferable beginner, intermediate and advanced pickleball courses this fall. The courts at the college can be found painted over one of the existing tennis courts.

Until then, Grossmont student and avid player Richard Schott recommended a few local pickleball courts: La Mesita and Big Rock parks both have courts. For more competition, there is The Hub on Campo Road, which does have a membership fee. All you need is a pickleball paddle and ball, with a quick look at the rules since the game is beginner-friendly.

Busy pickleball courts at La Mesita Park near the college. (Dominic Ferrari)

Pickleball’s player base grew gradually for the first five decades of its existence. In 2021, its popularity exploded and the sport remained the fastest-growing sport in terms of players in the country, for three years running, according to the Sports & Fitness Industry Association Topline Report.

Schott, who has played the sport frequently for two years, said pickleball is an “easy sport to learn, very difficult to master.” He added that the sport is very cheap to play given the single required piece of equipment. 

The best thing to do to learn the game is to go out and watch others play and leverage the social aspect of the game. The broader structure of the game is focused on being fast. Games only go to 11 points and each rally sees the server rotate frequently. Games last 15 to 20 minutes and players usually rotate out frequently, which “equates to a lot of social interaction,” Schott said.

The popularity of the sport makes sense given the low barrier to entry for casual play, room to advance and be competitive, a very social structure and quick games that allow for the busy player to fit games in a packed schedule. This pitch has been attractive to the roughly 10 million frequent players, according to an Association of Pickleball Players report.

The sport is often associated with older, retired players, but the average age of participants has fallen from over 40 to less than 35 in the last three years. This trend continues as the sport gains popularity and the professional scene expands.

Though pickleball is not dangerous, injuries can happen. Schott, who has had two injuries in his time playing the game, said most come from “pushing yourself too hard.” This also applies to retirees who may not be ready for the amount of movement in the sport. Done right, there is minimal risk.

Pickleball draws many comparisons to tennis, but Schott said the game is “very strategic,” adding, “Tennis is a game of checkers, pickleball is a game of chess.” 

He is confident the game will find its way into the Olympics, so it may be time to go out and make some dink shots.