Police report a sexual assault on Grossmont campus

GROSSMONT COLLEGE (Press Release)–The following communication is from Joel Javines, the district’s director of public safety:

“In keeping with the federal Jeanne Clery Act, the Grossmont-Cuyamaca Community College District Public Safety Department is providing notice of an alleged sexual assault incident that took place on the Grossmont College campus on Tuesday, April 12.

“GCCCD Public Safety received a report of an alleged sexual assault that occurred in a campus parking lot at Grossmont College on the evening of April 12.  The victim reported that the assailant approached her while she was entering her vehicle and sexually assaulted her.  The incident was reported to the El Cajon Police Department.”

Any information about this alleged incident can be reported to the following:

El Cajon Police Department              (619) 579-3311

http://www.elcajonpolice.org/onlinereport.html

GCCCD Public Safety                     (619) 644-7654

Anonymous Crime Reporting       http://www.sdcrimestoppers.com or http://www.wetip.com

These are prevention methods for safety while walking. Naturally, you won’t be able to follow them to the letter, but use them as guides.

·       Remain vigilant. Be aware of your surroundings.

·       Walk with a friend.

·       Try to stay in well-lighted areas.

·       Use caution in parking lots.

·       Look around when getting off a bus or getting into your  car.

·       Cross the street if you see someone suspicious following you.

·       Call the police if you feel that someone is following you or acting suspiciously.

·       Have your keys in your hand so you can open your door immediately.

·       Be alert. Look around you.

·       As a reminder, there are Yellow Emergency Phones located in all campus parking lots.

*
Tim Flood, Grossmont College’s vice president for administrative services, issued the following statement: “Let me assure you that we are committed to taking every precaution with available resources to ensure the safety of our staff.  Our campus is served by District Police who are professionally trained to serve and protect. We encourage all staff to remain vigilant and be aware of your surroundings. Stay in well-lighted areas and use caution in parking lots.  We encourage students, faculty and staff to be responsible for their own safety and look out for the safety of others who are part of the Grossmont family. Alertness, common sense precautions and concern for others are keys to preventing crime and helping us ensure the safety of our campus.  We urge you to report any suspicious persons or anything out of the ordinary in the buildings or parking lots to District Police or to your supervisor. Upon request, security personnel will escort you to your vehicle for added protection.  Let’s work together for safety.”

*

Preceding provided by the Grossmont-Cuyamaca Community College District

View Comments (2)
$0
$500