Festival Expectations

Festival Expectations

Zacovic named new Cuyamaca College president

CUYAMACA COLLEGE (Press Release) – Dr. Mark J. Zacovic, now serving as executive vice president of instruction and student services at Victor Valley Community College, has been named president of Cuyamaca College effective July 1.

Cindy L. Miles, chancellor of the Grossmont-Cuyamaca Community College District, said Zacovic’s energy and passion for educating students became clear during an extensive recruiting process.

“He brings a deep background and understanding of California community colleges that will serve Cuyamaca well during this time of financial hardship brought on  by the state’s worst-ever budget crisis,” Miles said. “Dr. Zacovic’s breadth and depth of college leadership experience includes colleges of every size, both single-college and multi-college districts, and urban as well as rural districts.

Governing Board President Bill Garrett praised Zacovic’s appointment. 

“He is going to be a very valuable and very welcomed leader to take the college’s helm,” Garrett said. “He has a solid background in community college finance and leadership.”

Following a nationwide search, a 14-member committee of faculty, staff, administrators, students and community representatives screened and interviewed candidates for the college’s top post. The committee selected four finalists and public forums were held at Cuyamaca last month, where the candidates answered questions from faculty, staff and students. Each forum was followed by interviews by college organizations and the district’s governing board.

Before selecting Zacovic, a search team from the district visited Victor Valley College to talk with members of the campus community about Zacovic’s leadership.

“His distinctive reputation as an effective leader coupled with his ability to unite people to discover common ground is what clinched the deal,” Miles said.

Zacovic’s career highlights include the statewide Outstanding Chief Business Official award he received in 2006 from the Association for Chief Business Officials for California Community Colleges.

“I’m looking forward to working with all the faculty and staff at Cuyamaca College,” Zacovic said. “It’s an innovative college with many dedicated people and exciting programs.”

A 26-year veteran of the California Community College system, Zacovic first served as the director of administrative services at Santa Barbara City College, where he also taught part-time in business administration for five years beginning in 1985. Zacovic has also served as the vice president of business services at Lake Tahoe Community College, interim president of Santiago Canyon College, vice chancellor of business operations and fiscal services at Rancho Santiago Community College District, and superintendent/president at Mt. San Jacinto Community College District.

Before joining Victor Valley Community College last June, Zacovic served as vice chancellor of administrative services at Contra Costa Community College District and as vice president of administrative services at Pasadena City College/Pasadena Area Community College District.

Zacovic has served on the boards of the Association of California Community College Administrators, where he is the immediate past president; the college business officials organization, including two years as president, and the Community College League of California. He also served for two years as representative of the college administrator organization on the State Chancellor’s Consultation Council.

A native Southern Californian, Zacovic earned his Ph.D. in educational leadership with an emphasis in higher education at the University of Nevada, Reno. He earned a master’s in business administration at Whittier College, and his bachelor’s in sociology at the University of California, Santa Barbara.

Zacovic will take over from Robert Garber, who has served as interim president while a search was underway for a new leader for the college of almost 10,000 students.  The college, located at 900 Rancho San Diego Parkway in Rancho San Diego, offers more than 140 degree and certificate programs, including innovative programs in green energy, ornamental horticulture and automotive technology.

*
Preceding provided by Grossmont-Cuyamaca Community College District