Movie review: ‘Thor’

Leon Goodrum
Leon Goodrum

LA MESA — Thor is film based on the Marvel comic of the same name and is the fourth film released by Marvel Cinematic Universe. The film stars Chris Hemsworth as Thor, the Legendary god of thunder.  Fans of the comic got wind of the film back in 2006-07 but, due to set backs, the production of the film was halted.  Director Kenneth Bragnagh later put life back into the project.

The film begins in the past: we find Thor’s father, Odin (Anthony Hopkins) king of Asgard, is at war with Frost Giants who have set out to conquer the nine realms, earth included. Odin defeats the Frost Giants and takes their source of power – the Casket of Ancient Winters.  Afterward this, the realms return to peace. This is were we meet our young hero Thor (Chris Hemsworth), blonde haired precocious child, and his young brother Loki (Tom Hiddleston), a wide eyed dark haired child.

Thor prepares to receive his crown when there is a disturbance in the kingdom, as the Frost Giants attempt to reclaim their stolen items.  Thor, enraged by this threat, marches off to do as his father did and slay the Frost Giants. Odin, angered by his son’s disobedience, strips Thor’s powers and casts him out of Asgard, to earth were he is to remain in exile until he gains the right to return to his home.

The rest of the film takes place in New Mexico where we meet the rest of the cast – Jane Frost (Natalie Portman) her assistant Darcy (Kat Dennings) and Dr. Erik Selvig (Clark Greg) who are tracking strange events occurring in the New Mexico skies.

The night lights up and out falls Thor.  Unaware of his lack of power, he attempts to flex his muscle to no avail.

Then, with Thor gone from Asgard, we find his brother Loki ‘s true colors exposed resulting from years of jealousy and rage towards Thor. Loki  plans to take the throne after the news that the king lays comatose in his Odinsleep.

Will Thor be able to return to Asgard and reclaim his throne?  Will his brother Loki ,God of Lies and Mischief, take the throne?

Over all, Thor was very enjoyable.  It has action, humor, a bit of romance and foreshadowing of things to come.  There is not much bad that I can say about the film. My one problem was that the film seemed to lose my interest when there was no action, and hints to a possible sequel were far from subtle.

Thor should be enjoyable for comic fans, young adults and children.

FILM: Thor

RATING: Pg 13 (Intense action and Violence)

ACTORS: Natelie Portman, Chris Hemsworth, Anthony Hopikins, Clark Greg, Tom Hiddleton, Kat Dennings.

SCORE: 4 out of 5 stars

*

Goodrum is a student in Media Comm 132