Festival Expectations

Festival Expectations

Nostalgia on Film

Should you watch a movie at the theater or in the comfort of your own home?

Anybody can discuss the satisfaction of watching a film in the comfort of their home compared to that of a movie theater. In a debate about whether to watch film in box offices or streaming apps, Generation Z and Millennials can have a very intellectual conversation of agreeing to disagree. 

The most vital question to ask ourselves as students dealing with final weeks of school, exams, last-minute grading and preparing for the holidays is whether we stay home to watch a movie or watch it at the movie theaters.

Anabel Barajas, 28, a staff member at the AMC theaters in North County, recalls the time movie theaters were a massive deal for movie fanatics. “Everyone was so happy when the ‘Twilight’ film came out,” she recalled. 

Barajas said she believed the COVID pandemic influenced Gen Z to stay in the comfort of their own home because everyone was on lockdown for quite some time. We had nothing to do besides isolate ourselves for the benefit of our future health to help stop the spreading of the virus– and maybe watch a movie or two. 

Many streaming applications such as Amazon and Netflix have upgraded their movie selections to increase their audience share, knowing everyone at home has a higher chance to stream the movies. The benefit of watching movies in the comfort of your home has established a new era for watching films. 

Natalie Flores, 22, a student at Grossmont College, said she prefers watching a film in the comfort of her home. 

“It’s just comfortable and safe,” she said. “You can set up the mood, invite friends over, anything you want.” 

In her childhood, Flores said she remembers the movie nights with her family giving her plenty of “comfort.” One has the power to have how they want their movie night to go as if it is in their own home, something we can not have in a movie theater. 

One can enjoy a film in many forms to satisfy their expectations. Both scenarios can be nostalgic depending on what generation you are from. 

“My parents went to the box office to purchase the new film that had come out in the 1970s, ‘Jaws,’” Flores said. “I think it was more of their generation kind of thing; we’re in a new era where it’s time to embrace the new things.” 

Barajas, on the other hand, said she likes going to the movie theater: “If the movie theaters are open to attend, it has to be a must-do activity.” 

From Barajas’ perspective, viewing the artwork directors and their team have created can be more pleasurable for the audience.

Whether you’re watching a film in the movie theater or the comfort of your home, you can feel the nostalgia.