Grossmont and Cuyamaca foundations combine

Issac Jeitler
Issac Jeitler

GROSSMONT COLLEGE–This college offers many programs to help students with finances, through the Financial Aid office.  Helping to raise the money for this purpose is the recently combined Foundation for Grossmont and Cuyamaca Colleges.  Before the combined operation was founded, the two colleges had their own foundations.

Now, Ernest Ewin, Grossmont Alumnus of ’69, directs fundraising for the joint foundation on both campuses.  When asked about the reasoning behind combining the two foundations, Ewin replied that it is simpler and more cost-effective than having separate fundraising arms for Grossmont and Cuyamaca Colleges.

Ewin, who also serves as a La Mesa City Councilman, works with individual donors and with  various donor foundations, including the Bernard Osher Foundation, which provides $1,000 scholarships for deserving students.  Grossmont has raised $580,000 and the Osher Foundation contributed $290,000 (a 50 percent match) to establish 56 Osher scholarships.

The Foundation for Grossmont and Cuyamaca Colleges’ goal is to raise over $1 million each year to continue helping students who have financial need and for other campus programs. For more information, interested parties can visit the Foundation online.

*

Jeitler is a Media Comm 199 student; contact him at [email protected]