Don’t Smile, You Are Not On Camera

If you are returning to campus this spring semester, you should be aware of this.

Liliana Rankin, Senior Staff Writer

Car break-ins, hit-and-runs, stolen property, vandalism, and crime are usually solved with the help of cameras. Although our campus has two deputies assigned to provide safety to Grossmont students and staff, many people believe having good-quality cameras is a must.
As the official date to return to campus is Feb. 22, everyone who is going to be back in the classroom should be aware of the campus’s camera situation. The director of public safety, Nicole Conklin, began proposing the project to install cameras throughout the campus back in 2016. So, why is the process taking so long? The negotiation for installation can take several months, even up to a year.

“The research and design phase took some time because we wanted to consult with both campuses and gather student input,” Conklin said.
In an email interview, Conklin was asked when she thinks Grossmont College will officially have the cameras installed. “Unfortunately, I do not have an estimate for you at this time,” she responded.

Having these new and improved cameras would benefit the Grossmont campus in many ways; one is the prevention of crime.

“Most people looking to commit a crime, big or small, will most likely not go through with it if they see a camera,” Conklin said. “The camera doesn’t lie, and it holds all parties accountable for their actions.”

Not only will cameras prevent more crime, but they will also allow our campus deputies the ability to solve crimes committed more accurately and swiftly. Cameras will provide our deputies with more safety.

“When deputies are forced to enter a situation blindly or with little information, it becomes dangerous for them,” Conklin said. “Having the cameras will allow us to look into particular areas and assess what we may be walking into prior to arrival.”

Grossmont does not know if or when we will be getting these cameras, so what are some ways we can stay safe until we do? Considering there are no cameras in the parking lots or structures, make sure your vehicle is okay to leave for a while.

“Lock your vehicle doors, roll up the windows and keep valuables out of sight,” Conklin suggested. “Put them in a trunk if you can.”

If needed, Grossmont’s deputies and campus and parking services specialists offer escorts to and from your car or classrooms at night. Another way you can stay safe at night is by walking with someone you know.

“Get to know your buildings, other students, and staff,” Conklin suggested. “You would be surprised how well the buddy system works.”

Deputy Jerry Jimenez, one of the two campus deputies assigned to Grossmont, offered this advice:

“Always be aware of your surroundings and report any suspicious activity, people or vehicle to law enforcement,”

Until security cameras are installed on our campus, we must all take precautions and participate in these safety suggestions while we continue our in-person learning and teaching. Stay safe, Grossmont students and staff!