International Club Enjoying Campus Life Again

The International Club 2022 is different from the last two years.

Jacqueline Colombo, Senior Staff Writer

Some of the perks of being in college are making new friends, joining clubs and studying abroad if you are able to. The International Club transitioned from meeting in person and shaking hands to logging into Zoom meetings and interacting virtually. As impressive of a job the International Club leaders did with hosting virtual events, the students are excited to put Zoom aside and be back in person.

These students have one thing in common: they were all excited to make new friends and see old ones.

“I really do like it,” said International student Nalia Premeru. “I haven’t been in there a lot but it’s been nice meeting people from all over the world.” 

Premeru said she met a student from France, and since Premeru speaks French, they had something in common to bond over. Premeru plans on getting her associate degree at Grossmont and is waiting to see what will come next.

The International Club held a “welcome back” event the first week on campus to meet in person and get to know one another. Food and beverages were provided. The club is anything but shy when welcoming new and old comers and making everyone feel welcome. 

The events held this year look a little different from previous years. A significant change is that they are held in person instead of over Zoom. Their annual movie nights that typically took place on Zoom were now held on campus. The club also attended the Sakura Cherry Blossom Festival, which was located at the Japanese Friendship Garden in Balboa Park.

International student Heloísa Santos said the part she’s most excited about is the International Graduation Reception. 

“I think the International Graduation Reception will be awesome for us international students; that certificate or associate means a life-changing qualification,” Santos said. “I personally dream about this moment. It’s been a long time since I saw my family in person, so I can’t wait to graduate and celebrate with them.”

Members of the International Club have continued to stay positive through all of the changes made over the last few years and have been rewarded with another successful year.

You can check out and keep up with the club on their Instagram account @gccinternational_club.