Recap of the Johnny Depp VS Amber Heard trial

Johnny Depp seeks 50 million from Amber Heard in lawsuit ,and Grossmont students give their opinions.

Liliana Rankin, Staff Writer

The defamation trial in Virginia between divorced couple Johnny Depp and Amber Heard, which has been going on since 2016, has become one of the most popular topics on the internet, due to the social media apps of TikTok and YouTube. 

This trial has become a significant battlefield between the two, with both sides accusing each other of physical and verbal abuse during their marriage and relationship. Heard claimed Depp’s alcohol and drug abuse led to his abuse. 

Depp sued Heard in 2019 for defamation and claiming that she had been the abuser in their relationship only after Heard published an op-ed in 2018 to The Washington Post referring herself to a “public figure representing domestic abuse.” 

The next year after being sued by Depp, Heard filed a countersuit against him, claiming that Depp defamed her after his lawyer released statements claiming her domestic violence allegations against him were false and a “hoax.” 

Though she did not name Depp in the op-ed as her abuser, it was enough for Disney to drop their contract with Depp, ultimately dropping him from the sixth installment of the “Pirates of the Caribbean” franchise as Captain Jack Sparrow only days after the op-ed was published. 

It is only obvious that most of the public watching the case believe Johnny Depp’s side of the story, with hashtags like “#justiceforjohnnydepp” and “#amberheardisaliar” being posted throughout TikTok and YouTube videos of the trial. 

Considering Amber Heard has been caught in multiple lies, it would make sense why the public eye is siding with Depp. 

“I believe Johnny Depp is an innocent man considering how much Amber Heard has been caught lying multiple times throughout the case,” stated Grossmont student Carbella Toth when asked her opinion. “For example, Amber Heard stated she used a makeup pallet to cover up the bruises that Johnny would leave on her but the owners of that makeup pallet came out and stated that the makeup she was using during that period wasn’t released yet.” 

Heard’s lawyer made claims in court that the actress used the Milani makeup pallet to cover up the bruises, but the makeup brand responded, claiming that could not be true.

Milani herself responded in a TikTok video that the makeup pallet in question was not released until after Heard and Depp divorced. 

Not only has Heard been caught in multiple lies, but she also lied under oath when she claimed to have donated her divorce settlement of 7 million to payout charity. 

She claimed to have split it between two organizations; the American Civil Liberties Union and the Children’s Hospital of Los Angeles. 

Later on, the ACLA executive testified they never received the full 3.5 million that was promised to them by Heard. 

“Amber lied under oath throughout the entire trial,” Grossmont student Taylor Leisch stated. “I believe Johnny is innocent, he was manipulated for a long time by a narcissist who would poke at him until he would finally snap back at Amber Heard.” 

It is also hard to believe Depp could act as violet as Heard claims he was, considering he has done so many generous acts like supporting multiple charities, such as Actors Funds of America, Dogs Deserve Better and Children’s Hospital of Los Angeles, showing up to Disney Land to surprise fans on rides and taking on the most challenging roles just for us to enjoy. 

“He’s a really cool guy and his background doesn’t really give off the type of vibe to hit someone,” stated student Rafael Quintero. 

“I think Amber Heard is guilty and should pay for what she did to Jonny which includes his career,” Leisch also stated. “She is the blame for the movies he was taken out of and many parts he could have gotten.” 

Although the accusations against Depp will always be there, the number of roles he lost can never be regained and his public figure has forever been tainted, Depp fans can only hope that the truth will finally come out, and Depp can receive the justice he deserves. 

It wasn’t Johnny Depp who said, “Why is the rum always gone?” It was Captain Jack Sparrow!