Halloween Safety

Whether it’s a trick or a treat, be responsible.

Halloween+Safety

Mark Lee, Staff Writer

Hallow safety – and safety and awareness in general – is imperative to have a fun, memorable and pleasantly-scary experience. 

Facilitating a safe environment for Halloween enthusiasts begins with you. Looking out for one another and taking the necessary precautions when out on the town makes everyone’s Halloween the best it can be.

Responsible Drinking

Stay aware, keep an eye on your drink, and be considerate for anyone who may need assistance even though they may not necessarily ask for it. In this situation, it’s better to be safe than sorry. 

• NightCap drink cover is a great investment for all future events. Not an end all be all as you still must be aware of your drink at all times, but this handy device will help in keeping you safe from any malicious acts where someone may try to spike your drink.
  • Watch out for anyone who may seem too inebriated. Stumbling, slurring words and being a bit too touchy can all be signs of someone who has had too many drinks.
  • Grab drinks that aren’t too over the top and offer an enjoyable time instead of a forgetful one. Better yet, practice bringing your own beverage of choice for the night. 

Responsible Driving 

You should always have a designated driver or a driving service such as Uber on standby and ready if you ever feel even the slightest bit unsure of whether or not you can operate a vehicle. 

Be the one! If you see someone who is risking it or trying to be defiant in your calls for them to not drive, be the one who gets involved– for not just their safety, but all the drivers on the roadways. 

And don’t forget your guardians. It’s OK to give your parents, grandparents or responsible adults a call when you need help getting home safely. 

Responsible Partying 

Know who’s invited. Be vigilant but sincere in asking someone to leave the event if things get too rowdy. Setting up guidelines and positive notes for those attending helps set the tone for the party vibe and acceptable behavior. Be courteous when commenting on the costumes of others;  women especially need to be treated with respect in this instance. 

Remember to trick people how you would like to be treated. 

Responsible Traveling 

When on foot enjoying Halloween with the community, the night can be a bit dangerous. Lily Lee, a Grossmont student, offered this advice: “Wearing bright colors, using a flashlight and wearing glow sticks will keep you visible when in dark spots if you’re walking to and from houses on Halloween night.” 

If you’re driving at night, be extra cautious of children who may dart into the roadway. Always assume they will; drive slower than normal, and keep your foot on the brake at all times.